• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Formula for front sight changes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brpc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I love the smell of Ballistol in the morning....

Hello to all:

I had a formula for mathmatically determing the front sight height at a particular range. It required you to measure the distance between the front and rear sights and know how high or low you were hitting.

It was a very usefull formula to use when filing an existing sight or purchasing a new one.

I think it was in Muzzle Blasts magazine.

I have lost it. Does anyone have it?

Thanks, Jim

Multiply the distance between the sights by the amount your poi is off and divide by the distance you are shooting. All measurements should be in inches. (Distance in yards times 36.)
This will tell you how much to take off the front sight if it shoots low or the back sight if it shoots high.

In a really incredible and unexplained phenomenon this dude name Pythagoras developed a method of determining front site height . . . 2,000 years before front sights were invented! He and his drinking buddy Euclid had all kinds of handy ideas for hunters.

Measure the distance between your sights, divide this into
the distance to your target. Example 30" sight radius and shooting at 25 yds (900 inches). 30 divided into 900 would give you 30.
This would mean that for every .001 you removed from the front sight the impact would move .030 on the target or
removing .033 would move POA 1 inch. I like this way because if I'm at the range and someone needs help I can do this one in my head. You can see from this why shooters like long barrels. The longer the barrel the more you have to be off to cause a miss.

Back