• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fouling shot? yes/no?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean said:
If you use cheapo 70% rubbing alcohol, the other 30% is water. In my experience with percussion guns, the stuff doesn't necessarily evaporate like we'd expect particularly in guns with patent breeches.
Sean, were you using rubbing alcohol or something purer? Which alcohol - methyl, ethyl (likely "denatured" or called "methylated spirits"), or isopropyl? Molecular weight affects evaporation rate. Around here, unadulterated methyl alcohol is commonly available in sizes up to a gallon/4L under various names like methanol, methyl hydrate, fondue fuel, or gas-line antifreeze. It might be found in automotive stores/departments, in hardware with thinners, or in housewares with the lamp oil and such. I've never had a problem with it, even in temperatures somewhat below freezing. Much colder than that, and I'm not cleaning outside, although I might damp-patch between shots.

Joel

I haven't found it necessary to foul a bore seeing the difference of POI isn't that great vs a clean bore judging from my experiences. A MLing rifle used for large game shouldn't "print" much differently to cause a bad hit whether from a fouled or clean bore.Even my squirrel LR doesn't show any discernable difference in POI w/ a clean vs fouled bore that would cause me to miss a squirrel's head. The only lube or preservative that any of my guns ever see is "Oxyoke 1000" which eliminates, due to it's waxy consistency, the chance for a wet load.....Fred

Nope, I load and hunt with a clean barrel. POI between a clean barrel and a fouled one are well within tolerances for hunting accuracy with any of my rifles.

When I work up a hunting load, I clean the bore after each and every shot, and hunt with a clean bore. If I lube the bore, it will be lubed with my patch lube, (Trappers Mink Tallow) then swab the heck out of it before loading to hunt.

After I work up my hunting load, I then check Point of impact changes by the old tried and trued SHOOTING! Shoot a few without cleaning and see where he hits.

Chances are, you will be able to stack the clean shot and the fouled shots together.

HH

No fouling shot, I've never seen that much of a difference on a m/l between fouled and clean. The only thing I do different with a hunting load is put wasp nest wadding under the ball so the lube doesn't foul the powder (I test for poi changes with the wad and have never noticed any).

Alcohol wipe before loading but no fouling shot.

Only the first shot counts on a clean barrel when hunting and that's the one I'm sighted in for. By luck my rifles seem to hold pretty well to the same point-of-aim whether clean or foul.

Must be 'da lube. ;-)

No fouling shot here for me either. Alcohol swab; dry path and load er up. I sight in on a clean barrel and my rifle actually prefers it that way. First shot is always a good one from my rifle.

The downside is that I need to swab it out clean with alcohol and dry patch when hunting. I always preferred to take my time to reload anyway. Make the first one hit it's mark and take my time. I don't take rush shots at game anyway; I have had a couple missed opportunities over the years waiting for the right time because the game has moved off without a shot. I look at it this way; it could have just created more hassle if I had rushed the shot.

I am of the camp that no fouling is needed because I did not notice a significant POI change.

That said confidence is a big factor in taking the shot hunting and "What works for you is what works for you"

:v

Here's a test for you huntnut. Shoot your rifle in the morning, reload it and let is set all day. Shoot it again and see if POI has shifted from your first shot. It's one thing for a gun to behave one way when the next shot comes a few minutes later, but how's it going to act from a cold fouled bore 10 hours later?

Another good test, let is sit all day or 24 hours and swab the bore. Nuff sed!

When I shoot on the range all day,I never let the "sun set" on a dirty gun.Same when hunting,I'm not luggin around a dirty gun in the woods all day.No fouling shot here.No need for one.

Back