• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fox.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What I didn't tell you about yesterday was that I was out early and at half light I spotted a fox running down a fence line that divides two large fields between two wood lots.
The woods on the right are frequented by walkers and their marauding dogs and the wet swampy woodland on the left is only visited by me!

When I got home yesterday I didn't clean the gun. I stuck a prick in the vent and tipped by volume an ounce and one eighth worth of fine powder, a card, another card with some beeswax and oil lube and another card.
With that rammed I dug out my mixed course shot of BB down to #3 and tipped what looked like one and a half ounce.
The home chipped flint felt nice and sharp.
I got to the scene just as the crows were stirring and wondered if I was going to be late! I walked my trail through the wood quickly trying to not bust any sticks!
I got there not able to see 40yds. I stood next to a tree just in the timberline and waited with Jess beside me.
We had not been there more than 15 minutes when not down the fence line I was looking up but from the left in the field just the other side of the ditch in the now half light came trotting a fair sized dog fox.
I muttered "oi"...didn't hear me, I shouted "oi" and it stopped but most it's chest is shielded by a tree now! I moved the gun onto its neck and touched it off.
The flash was blinding and I remember seeing an illuminated card falling close by!
I knew it was down because the terrier in Jess was giving voice! After the shot she was there nearly as quick as the shot! She has a thing for fox's too!
Distance was something like 12yards.

A fox these days can rightfully not expect to meet its demise via a tiny piece of flint but this one did!
I was ready to cut this gun up yesterday!
Today it done good.

This is on a sheep farm and lambing has started. There is no close season for fox in the UK.

B.

What I didn't tell you about yesterday was that I was out early and at half light I spotted a fox running down a fence line that divides two large fields between two wood lots.
The woods on the right are frequented by walkers and their marauding dogs and the wet swampy woodland on the left is only visited by me!

When I got home yesterday I didn't clean the gun. I stuck a prick in the vent and tipped by volume an ounce and one eighth worth of fine powder, a card, another card with some beeswax and oil lube and another card.
With that rammed I dug out my mixed course shot of BB down to #3 and tipped what looked like one and a half ounce.
The home chipped flint felt nice and sharp.
I got to the scene just as the crows were stirring and wondered if I was going to be late! I walked my trail through the wood quickly trying to not bust any sticks!
I got there not able to see 40yds. I stood next to a tree just in the timberline and waited with Jess beside me.
We had not been there more than 15 minutes when not down the fence line I was looking up but from the left in the field just the other side of the ditch in the now half light came trotting a fair sized dog fox.
I muttered "oi"...didn't hear me, I shouted "oi" and it stopped but most it's chest is shielded by a tree now! I moved the gun onto its neck and touched it off.
The flash was blinding and I remember seeing an illuminated card falling close by!
I knew it was down because the terrier in Jess was giving voice! After the shot she was there nearly as quick as the shot! She has a thing for fox's too!
Distance was something like 12yards.

A fox these days can rightfully not expect to meet its demise via a tiny piece of flint but this one did!
I was ready to cut this gun up yesterday!
Today it done good.

This is on a sheep farm and lambing has started. There is no close season for fox in the UK.

B.
Did you show it to the land owner? Are there sheep around? Helping protect someone's livelihood can earn some points for future use.

Congrats on the hunt.

Did you show it to the land owner? Are there sheep around? Helping protect someone's livelihood can earn some points for future use.

Congrats on the hunt.
I did via the same photos. There are sheep there and about 500yds away lambing ewes.
The farmer is a good friend of 30 years and gives me free range on the place no questions asked.
B.

Brit is a hunter boy's, and no mistake! That is a nice size fox Brit, good shooting. I don't have many red fox or grays where I am. Some, but not many. Their larger cousins the coyote's are every where though. I shoot a few every year but I should kill more. Next one I get Ill post a pic.

Brit is a hunter boy's, and no mistake! That is a nice size fox Brit, good shooting. I don't have many red fox or grays where I am. Some, but not many. Their larger cousins the coyote's are every where though. I shoot a few every year but I should kill more. Next one I get Ill post a pic.
Do your best, they need thinning to benefit others.

Brits...that is one big fox! Congrats. What impresses me even more is that Jess is apparently so well trained that you could have a fox into 12 yards and she refrained from taking after it until it was shot. Kudos not only on getting a fox in that close, but on the training Jess has obviously received to do her job so well! :thumbs up:

Brits...that is one big fox! Congrats. What impresses me even more is that Jess is apparently so well trained that you could have a fox into 12 yards and she refrained from taking after it until it was shot. Kudos not only on getting a fox in that close, but on the training Jess has obviously received to do her job so well! :thumbs up:
She errr has not forgotten that I will chase her down for an infringement such as helping herself!
We are a team however I feed her so I determine who is in the circle of trust and ejection from said circle is to put it mildly....rememberable!

Over here all we hear is how the heroic anti's stopped the murder of foxes by the arrogant landed gentry and their vicious foxhounds.
You don't mean our press could be fibbing do you?
Hunting with a pack of hounds was banned in England and Wales but not in N. Ireland. Not sure about Scotland.
I think two hounds can push or drive a fox to a gun/s or even a large bird of prey!
By rights Jess can run a rabbit but not hare or even squirrel under the same legislation!
It was a farce of a law and the then prime minister told the police to not enforce it!!
It still goes on where they can unnoticed!
Jess doesn't bother running hare's but she did catch one in standing wheat a couple of years ago!
I had to instruct her on the subtle differences.
IMG_20160725_181915_zpsaho9lvjh.jpg

Now you may laugh but ever since that day she has not bothered a hare!
This is the hare she caught.
DSC09285_zpsvippdh9s.jpg

No restrictions for the shooting of fox's other than if it could be shown that cruelty or suffering has occured through poor choices then a prosecution can be made so airguns are generally regarded as no no etc.

I did via the same photos. There are sheep there and about 500yds away lambing ewes.
The farmer is a good friend of 30 years and gives me free range on the place no questions asked.
B.
I have a healthy population of the red's, but don't hunt them on my place for almost the same reason. The adjoining woods is owned by a family that is big in the fox hunt club. I like seeing them, hearing the hounds and horn as they ride through. They can hunt here, I can hunt there, works out pretty good, nice folks too. Now coyotes, they're SOS!
Good job Brit!!!!
Robin

Jess doesn't bother running hare's but she did catch one in standing wheat a couple of years ago!
I had to instruct her on the subtle differences.
img_20160725_181915_zpsaho9lvjh-jpg.3639

Now you may laugh but ever since that day she has not bothered a hare!

That's a very studious pupil you have there. :)

I've seen lots of gray and red foxes but yours, Nate, is about as large as any I've come across.

Latest posts

Back