• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FRENCH FUSILS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN ZUREKI

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of building a French Fusil. I need a title of a GOOD book to use as reference. I'll need a book with a few pictures and maybe some dimensions. Any help along these lines wood be appreciated.

The best , the cheapest , the one in english
( drum roll ) .....
the Fusil de Tylle in New France ( 1691-1741)

by Russel Bouchard , Historical Arms series no.36
ISBN 0-919316-36-0

Available at Track , Dixie etc 8.95$
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...=4&subId=24&styleId=95&partNum=BOOK-FINF[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would second Henrys choice, do beware and ignore "the man behind the cutrain" (most suppliers and makers of fusils) there are a couple of folks here, Henry being one who can add much more tha most if not all suppliers and makers of such guns, Enjoy your project, they are a fine gun to build and shoot, just proceed with caution if you want something close to the originals.

Thank You for a book title and source. I have sent for the book and will probably need some help down the road. Thanks again to Henry and tg.

I am not an expert , far from it , but as soon
as you look at the pictures in the book by Russel Bouchard , it will be obvious that there are some
errors in most of the Tulle fusils on the market .
Most have the same lock plate as the one sold by
Track of the wolf , wich work very well .

Easiest to spot are the German style ornaments
that are left on the lock , like the notch
at the base on the dog and the décoration at the
base on the frizzen spring have to go .
It is easy enough .
The notches on the back of the frizzen are another story , since the frizzen is already
hardened , patient work with a Dremel tool
will do it , but you have to take care of
not heating the metal .

The lock from Rifle Shoppe is a perfect copy
but a lot of work .

The woodwork is more difficult to describe
, there is a lot of wood to chisel , scrape
and sand away .

Finally , remember that it is a farmer's gun ,
no fancy varnish needed .

Have fun .

Latest posts