• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fridays supper is looking good!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Been really struggling with this faux trade gun of late, especially patterns. Another issue was the trigger, to hard and creepy so I did some lock work and now have a better trigger and I polished the pan and rounded the edges where the powder sits. I re-added weight to the frizzen spring. It seems to go off quicker now!

Next was testing what is going wrong in the pattern department! Fibre wads! That's what is going wrong! As soon as I went to thin cards with some lube or cards and a soaked leather wad a usefull pattern returned!

The bunny was near to 30yds and full of shot!

Those fibre wads don't work broken up or as one, they can go somewhere in the back of the cupboard!

Brits :thumbsup:

Looks like you have a nice healthy bunny right there! Ought to go good fried up with some Rosemary an Thyme, and some red wine to freshen the palette.

Congrats on a good tender wabbit :thumbsup: . Last winter I roasted one on a open fire with just black pepper for seasoning and it was very good

Spikebuck said:
I cannot get good patterns with fibre wads, either whole or broken. I've settled in on the thin wool felt wads with lube.

Nice lookin' wabbit. :hatsoff:

:haha: I keep staring at my old wool felt hat !

B :thumbsup:

Congrats on the good work and good shooting from one ole faux shooter to another! Like we say down home, "Yuh done good!" :wink: :thumbsup:

Hi...through the years I've heard of a couple of "British things " and now I've got my chance to verify what I've heard.

First off....is it common to hang game birds intact {mainly pheasants} until they become "tender" ...of course this is putting it mildly.

Secondly....is cooked "trail" really eaten by the British? "Trail" as described to me is the earthworm filled intestine of the woodcock.....which is their only diet.

Seeing I've only read about the above in American sporting magazines, are the above true and widespread practices? Or....was somebody attempting to belittle British cuisine?......Fred

Congrats on the bunny and getting your gun worked out. I like the looks of the trade style rifle and will someday have one. What caliber is yours?

flehto said:
Hi...through the years I've heard of a couple of "British things " and now I've got my chance to verify what I've heard.

First off....is it common to hang game birds intact {mainly pheasants} until they become "tender" ...of course this is putting it mildly.

Secondly....is cooked "trail" really eaten by the British? "Trail" as described to me is the earthworm filled intestine of the woodcock.....which is their only diet.

Seeing I've only read about the above in American sporting magazines, are the above true and widespread practices? Or....was somebody attempting to belittle British cuisine?......Fred
may be one time they would hang pheasants and all sorts of silly stories abound, I think woodcock were ate whole a long time ago but I would be very surprised if it happened nowa' days!

I certainly don't any how!

B.

I sit here and look at your photos Brit, then look at the bunnies bouncing around near the house a...then at about 57 blue-aired ladies that would probably pummel the stuffings out of me if I nabbed one of them!! :wink: :haha:

Well if them ladies could of smelt it cooking!!

Jointed rabbit, two onions,turmeric (good for the joints....ours), salt and pepper,sliced carrot, chicken stock cube and topped with sliced potatoe.
Add olive oil and stand for a night.
Just before cooking add some milk. In the oven for an hour plus.

Slurp :hatsoff:

Oh and unlike modern shotguns and despite being struck multiple times it was not smashed or messy at all!

B.

The rabbit looks like the ones running around in my yard. My mom would whup my a** if I shot one they look so cute.
What are you making the cards out of?

Swede50 said:
The rabbit looks like the ones running around in my yard. My mom would whup my a** if I shot one they look so cute.
What are you making the cards out of?
Shoot outside the yard then !

I stamp what ever thin card I find. Even beer mats and thin leather.

B.

Had pronghorn sloppy joe's for lunch today. It was marked Oct. 2008!! No freezer burn, and tasted high desert delicious!!

Had a freezer failure couple weeks ago and lost my last few packages of elk along with some musk ox.

we have a year round season on these Eurasian collared doves, bu darned if I can find any outside of town!

marmotslayer said:
Had a freezer failure couple weeks ago and lost my last few packages of elk along with some musk ox.

we have a year round season on these Eurasian collared doves, bu darned if I can find any outside of town!

Yes they like towns and villages, I nearly shot two at 4am as they were having a little singing comp out side my window :hmm:

B.

Back