• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen Life & other newbee questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnm4688

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello again,
I am shooting a TC Firestorm 50 caliber and will be hunting with 275 grain TC Maxihunter maxiballs over 90 grains of 3f powder. Very accurate at 50 and 100 yards. Anyone have experience with shooting eastern deer with these bullets?
1)Is there a normal life to a frizzen?
2)In a previous post I explained that I was having spark problems with my TC flint and frizzen. I have ordered english flints and I think that this will fix the problem, but I also put a new frizzen on the lock. When I removed the screw that holds the frizzen I noticed it was loose, but there is no way for it to back out cause the head would butt up against the body of the stock well wall. When I put the new frizzen in I put the screw in pretty snug. Should this screw be tight, snug, or loose?
3) I think I might get hooked on this muzzleloading sport...I would like to try some round ball loads in this rifle. I think the twist is 1 in 48. A 50 caliber ball would be .490 with a patch...yes? Can anyone recommend a load with 3f black powder? And I would like to try a round TC already lubricated patch if such a thing exists. Thanks again for all your past patience and help!!

John M. from Pa.

The frizzen screw should be lightly tightened.
Not loose and not "really tight".

Most TC barrels with a 1:48 twist have moderately shallow rifling grooves so a fairly tight patch/ball combination seems to work better than a loose one.
A .490 diameter roundball + an .018 thick lubricated cotton patch seems to work very well.

Likewise, some have found that a .495 diameter roundball with a .015 thick patch also works well.

TC used to make pre-lubricated patches but I think that was years ago and any you find now should probably be avoided.
That's because the lube tends to break down the cotton fibers after a few years of sitting on a shelf.

There are dry patches available at some of the better gun stores and these will be as good as the day they were made. You'll just have to buy some patch lube or make your own and you will be in business.

Loads? Depends on what your doing.
Hunting rabbits or squirrels: 35-40 grains
Targets? 50-60 grains
Hunting deer? 80-100 grains

The maxi ball is not necessary for a deer. A patched round ball (prb) is plenty adequate for deer. Depending on how well your rifle performs with a given load, deer are not hard to kill with light to moderate loads. The 90 grains mentioned might be excessive. Time spent at the range will tell you what give best accuracy in your rifle.
For comparison, I use a .45 prb and 65 grains 3Fg real black powder for deer. They drop where they are standing when hit.

Hi, I am the fellow Firestorm shooter.
Most likely your Firestorm frizzen was and is OK. If it wasn't you should have sent it to Thompson Center for a free replacement and a correct installation. :hmm:
I hope you followed my suggestions in your other post. :grin:

This is the best advice for loads. :thumbsup:
Zonie said............
Hunting rabbits or squirrels: 35-40 grains
Targets? 50-60 grains
Hunting deer? 80-100 grains

My hunting load for the Firestorm is 90 gr of loose GOEX 2F or 80 grs of loose GOEX 3F. Always GOEX 4F as a prime. :thumbsup:
DO NOT use pellets! :(

There are some guys on the forum that seem to think any “marginal” load is good enough for deer. I totally disagree. :td: Use a load that will get the job done. I consider the 45 as the smallest caliber that should even be allowed for deer. And 50 as the smallest caliber for elk.
The 50 cal round ball is plenty good for deer and you do not need the conical type bullets. All they do is cost more. Shot placement is the critical thing when muzzle loader hunting. It is very similar to bow hunting. :wink:

Apparently you didn't read the post, however. As there was a additional issues mentioned.

Back