• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

from me to me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Every year for my birthday I give myself a day in the woods. Usually I just take along gear to cook lunch, my camera, a flintlock long gun and a flintlock pistol, a tomahawk, and spend a chunk of the day eating, shooting and sticking stumps, dead trees and such things. This year my trek was delayed by the deer season and a lot of rain, but I got it done today. I changed things up a bit, made it a hunting trek, hoping to add another species to my list of game taken with cedar bark wadding. I went early, hunted turkeys until noonish, but saw not a feather. I then found a neat little nook with a small waterfall nearby and spent a couple of hours making lunch. I caught a spark from the lock of the Jackie Brown Carolina, built a fire and roasted a chunk of venison back strap on a stick, from the buck I killed recently using cedar bark wadding. I made country champaign, sassafras tea sweetened with maple sugar, to go with it. A happy marriage. Most of the afternoon was spent kicking briar patches for cottontails, and I had some luck. At kicking them out, that is, not at shooting them. They were too quick for the old man and his long barreled fowler, today. I did take a big fat fox squirrel using cedar bark wadding, but I’d already done that, was hoping for a bunny, at least. Next time.

trek1.jpg

trek2.jpg

trek3.jpg

trek4.jpg

trek5.jpg

trek6.jpg

Spence

Glad to see you getting out! You've also been helpful in making my little excursions more enjoyable. :thumbsup:

What a great day. I love your desciptions of your trekking adventures. Makes me want to get out and do the same thing instead of sitting here on the computer. :redface:

Spence, to me, reading your stuff is like going for a long walk with an old friend. The feeling and emotion that you impart into your writing and descriptions is obvious. I'm grateful that you are here on this forum and willing to share your stories with us. Thank you.

Vern

Spence, I also see that this is your 1500th post!! Great story and a great time...Bud

You are livin the good life my friend!! Thats something i've been wanting to do myself. I always enjoy your pictures!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: That is great a man after my own heart.What my day dreams are about.Need a fire under my butt to get me goin.Your livin the dream. :applause: Griz

Vern
I feel the same way about Spence's stories. It is like a visit from a friend and relaxing as well!
Thank you Spence!
Macon :thumbsup:

Looks like high times. Why did the world have to get so sophicticated when all we want to do is enjoy nature and simple things? I wish you many more days like that one.

Ancient One said:
Spence, to me, reading your stuff is like going for a long walk with an old friend. The feeling and emotion that you impart into your writing and descriptions is obvious. I'm grateful that you are here on this forum and willing to share your stories with us. Thank you.

Vern
Here here :hatsoff:

Brits.

Back