• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

From "that thing" to "your rifle"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BV

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I hunted the regular firearms deer season this year with my Lyman GPR. I'm lucky enough to hunt with a fairly large group of family and friends, none of whom have any desire to hunt with any muzzleloader, traditional or otherwise. When my plans came out during the night before opening day, the "that thing" comments started. Things like "You know that thing probably won't even go off when you get a shot", "You probably won't be able to hit anything more than twenty yards away with that thing", and "You'll probably see the buck of a lifetime at 250 yards while you're carrying that thing". I had to agree with the last one, but it was a chance I knew I was taking.

Opening morning I let a young 9 point buck walk. He wasn't worth hanging on the wall, and I don't mind killing does for meat. A couple guys shot pretty good bucks on Saturday, and the ribbing about "that thing" continued.

Early Sunday morning one of our friends shot not too far away. He's in his early seventies, so I went over to help. He had a pretty nice buck almost gutted when I got over their, and I offered to help him drag when we went in for lunch. We sat together for about a half hour, when three does passed about 80 yards away on the other side of the creek ditch we were hunting. I picked out the biggest one and made a shot that was probably a little more lucky than good as she stopped in an opening. The doe took maybe ten steps and piled up.

Bill and I had our deer back in camp when everyone else came out for lunch. Bill told and re-told the story everytime someone else showed up. He tells a better story than I, so I didn't mind. The first time he told the story it started with "a real good shot" and ended with "that deer didn't go as far the one I shot with a .308". The last time he told the story it started with "a circus shot" and ended with "the hammer of God".

Even though it was just an average doe that any one of us had chances for, I noticed the comments changed from "that thing" to "your rifle". Things like "How far can you shoot with your rifle", "How do you load your rifle", "How do you get the black powder for your rifle", "Where'd you get your rifle".

I killed a second doe during the muzzleloader season and no one seemed surprised to hear it. I don't expect any of them will ever hunt with a muzzleloader, but it was pretty gratifying to shut them up. :wink:

Atta boy! :thumbsup: and Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

:grin: "Hammer of God" :haha: :bow: :bow: :bow: GOOD ONE!! :thumbsup:

Congrats! :hatsoff:

BV said:
I don't expect any of them will ever hunt with a muzzleloader, but it was pretty gratifying to shut them up. :wink:
You just keep hunting with "that thing" around those guys & I'll bet that some of them will eventually start wanting to try one too. :thumbsup:

slow poke said:
Now your rifle has a name... :wink: :hatsoff: :thumbsup:
"Hammer of God"......that'll be a great name too! :)

Congrats to the doe and Waidmanns Heil ! :thumbsup:

So another guy got hooked, nice to hear!

I had this discussion last weekend together with other hunters of the hunting area we are hunting. They heared that I use a ML (Trad. Deerhunter .50 perc.) and most of them were really interested especially how the effect is on game in comparison to modern guns. A few others made their silly jokes about why the bullet won't roll out when shooting downhill, etc. :shake: I think I'll make a demonstration shooting for the interested guys. :grin:

Keep on working for our side! :thumbsup:

Regards :hatsoff:

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister:

Tell them in a nice way that hunting with a muzzleloader puts more of the hunt back into the experience. You add more variables that give the game more of a chance to get away.

Some of them won't understand it anyway. When I asked the german hunters association if ML hunting is legal they told me yes, but it should be the hunters main goal to get always a clean kill and therefore hunters should use the best and most modern hunting gun and scope he can get. I didn't reply it but thought "so why aren't machine guns and night sighst allowed? That would guarante the cleanest kill and the most less chance for all game".

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
Some of them won't understand it anyway. When I asked the german hunters association if ML hunting is legal they told me yes, but it should be the hunters main goal to get always a clean kill and therefore hunters should use the best and most modern hunting gun and scope he can get. I didn't reply it but thought "so why aren't machine guns and night sighst allowed? That would guarante the cleanest kill and the most less chance for all game".

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister,
When it comes to regulations, no logic applies.....

I was talking with an animal rights activist I know (I have a high tolerance for stupidity). He thought muzzleloaders would be less humane, because they are less accurate and less powerful that a 30-06. I explained they make you take better shots, which increase your chances of making a clean kill. I also said by his logic we should only use a .50 BMG round to take deer. He smiled in return.

Congratulations on the deer.

BV said:
I hunted the regular firearms deer season this year with my Lyman GPR. I'm lucky enough to hunt with a fairly large group of family and friends, none of whom have any desire to hunt with any muzzleloader, traditional or otherwise. When my plans came out during the night before opening day, the "that thing" comments started. Things like "You know that thing probably won't even go off when you get a shot", "You probably won't be able to hit anything more than twenty yards away with that thing", and "You'll probably see the buck of a lifetime at 250 yards while you're carrying that thing". I had to agree with the last one, but it was a chance I knew I was taking.

Opening morning I let a young 9 point buck walk. He wasn't worth hanging on the wall, and I don't mind killing does for meat. A couple guys shot pretty good bucks on Saturday, and the ribbing about "that thing" continued.

Early Sunday morning one of our friends shot not too far away. He's in his early seventies, so I went over to help. He had a pretty nice buck almost gutted when I got over their, and I offered to help him drag when we went in for lunch. We sat together for about a half hour, when three does passed about 80 yards away on the other side of the creek ditch we were hunting. I picked out the biggest one and made a shot that was probably a little more lucky than good as she stopped in an opening. The doe took maybe ten steps and piled up.

Bill and I had our deer back in camp when everyone else came out for lunch. Bill told and re-told the story everytime someone else showed up. He tells a better story than I, so I didn't mind. The first time he told the story it started with "a real good shot" and ended with "that deer didn't go as far the one I shot with a .308". The last time he told the story it started with "a circus shot" and ended with "the hammer of God".

Even though it was just an average doe that any one of us had chances for, I noticed the comments changed from "that thing" to "your rifle". Things like "How far can you shoot with your rifle", "How do you load your rifle", "How do you get the black powder for your rifle", "Where'd you get your rifle".

I killed a second doe during the muzzleloader season and no one seemed surprised to hear it. I don't expect any of them will ever hunt with a muzzleloader, but it was pretty gratifying to shut them up. :wink:
What... :confused: ???,
There is other kinds of Firearms to hunt with.. :confused:
WhoDa thunkit?.
Good Jobs on the Does...Personally I'da shot the buck :thumbsup:

BV said:
The first time he told the story it started with "a real good shot" and ended with "that deer didn't go as far the one I shot with a .308". The last time he told the story it started with "a circus shot" and ended with "the hammer of God".

A little while back there was a thread about naming you rifle. The consensus was the name should come from an experience or experiences. May I suggest the following for possible consideration.

1) T- Hog
2) Doe hammer
3) "Circus Doe Slay"
:wink:

Congratulation! Glad you showed them that 'that thing' can be a damn good rifle. :thumbsup:

BV said:
I'm lucky enough to hunt with a fairly large group of family and friends,
Well, that one's a matter of opinion, I guess. I'm luck enough that I DON'T have a bunch of freinds or family to hunt with! :haha: I really can't stand hunting with other people, (or fishing with other people, or camping with other people, etc) except my daughter sometimes.
But hey! If you enjoy their company, that's great! :hatsoff:

good deal on the deer . and i always tell them . anybody can kill them far away , i want to powder burn them when i shootum . h

Nice story, you may have planted some seed, time will tell.

Good shootin' BV. Way to show 'em how it's done! :thumbsup:

Mine went from "that thing" to "that damm cannon you carry" a few years ago. :grin: But none of 'em frown and shake their heads anymore.

Back