• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

frozen nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay don't laugh but get some Oil of Wintergreen and apply it around the threads, will soak right in two or three applications and the nipple should come right out.
Its an old aircraft mechanics trick & I'm old :wink:

I'm new here but I'm an old hand at things that are stuck, rusted, and uncooperative.
Water is the best rust cutter on the planet. Soak it submerged all day, tap on it lightly with a small hammer from time to time then heat it. For those really bad ones I have a nipple wrench from Knight for their !#lines. It is hell for stout and wont spread I've even had a pipe wrench on mine.

Pat

Hank,

Did you ever get it out and if so, what was the way you used, just wondering?

RDE

On occasion when the surroundings or finish won't let me use a torch I've been able to get a stuck screw turning by applying heat with an electric soldering iron (Fit he tool to the job. I have 25. 100, and 300 Watt irons). Aperture sight knobs and other rather delicate things that get gummed up from old oil can often be turned just enough so that some Kroil can be worked into them and then cleaned and re-lubed. Another technique is to drill with progressively larger bits until you are just shy of the threads. Then collapse the sides of the drilled portion inward with a small cold chisel(I've done this many times, but not on any thing as small as a nipple). If your lucky the metal will crack and can be grabbed with pliers and segments pulled out. I consider this a last-resort method. It's definitely not for the faint of heart!

Back