• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This Poor Renegade had to come home with me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had just found out about a new Pawn Shop in my hometown so I had to stop by. I walked in the door and low and behold there was a Renegade sitting on the rack. The poor thing is in a sad state of affairs. It is a kit gun that looks like someone literally screwed it together and put some finish on it. Too much wood EVERYWHERE, front sight on backwards, and no sanding or shaping whatsoever. LOL SMH! Even a NEWB to kit building like me knows this IS NOT what you're supposed to do. :D The bore looks great and the lock works like it should. So we agreed on a price and I walked out with it. I have it torn completely down now. The nipple is stuck and of course I don't have a nipple wrench to fit this nipple. I have it soaking in some Kroiil now. I hope I can budge the thing at some point. So basically I bought an assembled kit. Would one of you fine folks, post some detailed pics of your Renegade so I can get an idea of what the stock should look like?
KIMG0674.jpg
KIMG0678.jpg
KIMG0675.jpg
KIMG0676.jpg
KIMG0679.jpg
KIMG0680.jpg
Good for you . the tho peon Renegade was always a sturdy rifle . You’re restoring it is a good idea.

If you need, I just called The Gun Works (541-741-4118) and asked if they still have T-C percussion hammers. I was told that T-C parts have been flying out the door since S&W closed the company, but they still have 5 of the hammers for $26.75 each. Might save a lot of frustration!

Also, I have had very good results using Laurel mountain Forge (https://www.laurelmountainforge.com/barrel_brown.htm) browning solution for both browning barrels and bluing them. Instructions are on the web site.

~WH~
LMF is so easy to use. I hang my barrels in the bathroom with the hot shower on and floor heater. Get it humid and hot in there and let it hang. Gets a nice rusty brown in no time. Card it down and do it again until I'm happy with it. Knock it back with a wet piece of denim. Go over it with a propane torch. Coat it with small engine oil (non detergent) and let it soak for a couple days. Wipe the oil off and hit it with some gun oil or Ballistol. Then wax.

Back