• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

frustrating caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have tried both #10 and #11 Remington caps for my pietta .36 cal. 1851 Navy revolver and neither fit very well. Both sizes seem to be too small. I have to let the hammer fall two times on the caps before they will go off and fire the pistol. What about CCI? Are the CCI any bigger or do they work better? A friend of mine is having the same problem with his Army San Marco Walker .44 cal. Thanks for any suggestions.

CCI No. 11's should work.

However, I'd at least consider checking the nipples out for mushrooming, as that's most often the cause when the bigger size caps are too small.

Scrape the side of the nipple towards the end with your fingernail in a couple of places and see if you can detect a ridge right at the tip. If there is one you can remove it by chucking the nipple in a drill motor and using it as a lathe while sanding/filing the end of the nipple. Do this carefully with a very fine file, stone or sandpaper. Or just buy new nipples.

:bow: Yeah!!! Do just as Mykeal says---that is a typical complaint re: nipples on any imported revolver. Just use a small file at a slow speed and check constantly for a good fit---DO NOT FORCE FIT CAPS---unless you want shorter fingers or eliminate your fingerprints. When the proper snug fit is achieved you should be able to remove caps with your fingernails. :thumbsup:

If you choose to deburr the nipple, or just to fix it so the #11 caps fit like they should by all means, use a electric hand drill to lightly chuck the nipples and file the cones down just a little until the caps fit snugly.

The only caution with this is to make sure the chuck of the drill is on the round unthreaded body of the nipple and is not grabbing the threads.

A small flat file can be used to lightly file the cone. Just make sure it is at the same angle as the original cone and, with the drill running slowly, push the file forward a few times.

Stop often to try a cap to see how it fits. :grin:

Back