• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

frustration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my uncle bob taught me how to hunt and saltwater fish, i know alot of mothers who dont want there kids to hunt and wont tell there kids that in order to eat meat you need to kill it. i have no idea why you wouldent want your kids to hunt it kept me off drugs and alchol all of my life.

when i was about 10 my uncle snuk me into a bird hunting perserve in CT and i looked like i was 12 LOL, he just passed away his last year and im lost. it still bothers me and when ever i hear fred bear by ted nugent i will cry thinking about how i want to walk down the trails and the beach again with him.

i just graduated high school and i got made fun of and got called a red neck, deer Fu*ker,and a hick it didnt bother me because i took it from where it came.... a bunch of drugged out hippies. all of my teachers though i was going to shoot up the school because i loved guns so much.

Take plenty no notice of your "friends" friend.I beg you consider me, the government of Britain won,t evan let me hunt a thing with a M/L rifle :shake: I can only use a M/L shotgun on small game! I am glad that you have taken to a M/L rifle. Take pride and heart, your time will come and you will prob feel 1000 times better. It will come, good luck :thumbsup:

evan 9201 I see you are a trapper also what do you trap and what type of traps do you use?

There is only one thing that makes crows gather in those large numbers, and make that constant racket: An Owl. You missed him. Their wings do not make any noise. Unless his shadow happens to cross you, or you just happen to be lucky enough to be looking in the right direction, you won't see him.

I hope this happens to you again, only this time, you see the owl, and watch him slip away from the crows after a bit, leaving them screaming at nothing. I had this happen to me sitting in a tree during deer season one year, and I got to watch that owl slip away twice. The first time, he got away from the main group, but some late coming crows happened to be flying over where he was going and spotted him flying into his new perch. They set off the alarm, and all the crows around me flew a hundred yards upstream to go after the owl again. He gave them about 20 minutes to get stupid, and then slipped out and flew back down stream to the first tree, but this time, perched closer to the main tree trunk on the North side, in its shadow. The Crows finally realized they had lost him again, and began flying circles searching for him, for about an hour. Discouraged, they flew off.

That is how I learned why Owls are called " Wise ". :hmm: :thumbsup:

in MA we can only use is cage traps for everything. so i end up shooting my animals with a 22 or drowning them.

heres the maas regs so you can see how dumb they are

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/trapping_regs.pdf

Paul;
Yeah, I figured it was probably an owl that had all those crows excited. I didn't see it, but then I was in heavy timber, and it could have been anywhere.

Evan;
I also had an uncle who first taught me the ways of the woods and hunting. My Dad was a fisherman, and small game hunter, but he didn't care much for deer hunting. My Uncle Frank, on the other hand, was a deer hunter and backwoodsman supreme.
Both of them have been gone for over 20 years now, but I still miss them.
Life goes on. Someday maybe you will be the father or uncle, or older mentor who implants a love for the backwoods and hunting in some young person.

Hey Just take it as it comes read all you can about Deer ,get into the woods all you can , when season is over get out there an scout all you can.When I was 19 you were lucky to see a set of tracks or a pile of droppings in a whole season where I live,and what a feeling to find a buck rub,things have changed now lots of Deer now. Just get out there and get more exper. maybe small game hunt after Deer season ends but keep at it things will happen I promise.

Rancocas said:
"...Another morning there must have been 500 crows that settled in the treetops around me. What a racket they made! They paid no attention to me. I have no idea what attracted them. After about 15 minutes the riot broke up and crows flew off in all directions..."
That happens everywhere every fall...crows migrate south and as a flight group they'll stop periodically for a rest...had that same thing happen to me twice while out in the woods hunting this season.

"i never shot a a sound in the bushes

I really hate to ask but: what do you mean?

RDE

hahhaha i ment shooting at rustles in the bushes :wink:. its going to be a new year and a clean slate i will get a buck next year no matter what it takes.

in the mean time im going to be scouting for next season and im going hunting for sea ducks with my fowler with in the next two weeks.my real friend seth is taking me in his boat into a marsh in the bay down the street... i cant wait to smell burning black powder and salt air.

p.s. i make sure to take some pictures

i all ready have some of my friends interested in the outdoor life style, some of which are female :wink:

Pork Chop,

I have heard of a sounding shot, I was just hoping that is not what he meant.

A sounding shot is about as a dumb thing as a person could do.

RDE

Hang in there Evan! Sometimes that is hunting, it is what makes the harvest so sweet when it does happen.

Good luck next time.
Wess

Keep after it. Everything will fall in place for you at some point. I switched to solely hunting with a ML last year and did not fill a tag for the first time in 22 years. I used last year as a great learning tool and harvested four deer with my ML this fall.

Back