• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Full stock hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wanting to build my first rifle as cheap as possible! My new babby is 1 month old so extra cash is hard to come by, so is sleep!Wondering if any one could point me in the right direction as to where to buy and approximate cost to build? Also is there many used guns or parts avaliable? Havent found many very reasonable thats why Im considering building my own. Thanks in advance
Nathan B.

Nathan B.,
It would help a whole lot to know exactly
what type of rifle you are looking to build and what
your budget for this project mite be????
We need more information: like?
flint or percussion?
Pa,Ky,Ten,hawkin,GPH or other???
Budget? $300-$500-$800-$1000+
I think all of us know about the baby thing, and
the restrictions that it can cause on the hobby.
:imo: and it's only my opinion this mite not be
the best time for a building project.
If you currently have b/p weapons use them and
save up when you can for what you want. if you do not
have a b/p weapon, then consider buying used or new
off the shelf.
Nathan,
Good luck with whatever you decide.
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:
P.S. concratulations on the new baby!!!!!
P.S. just realized it was a hawkin, good
choice and good luck

I just ordered some parts for a full stock Hawken. It came to around $300 for a stock, breachplug, triggers, ramrod pipes and buttplate. I already had a flintlock and barrel so you can add another $200-250 to the price. It also got a break on the stock so your milage may be more say about $800 for the whole thing.

That said, if this is your first rifle that I would not recommend this as the way to go. This is a lot of work to build one of these part sets even for those of us who have put guns together using these "kits".

I would recomend a regular kit like the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Most of the inletting is done for you. All you need to do is final fitting and finishing. They are half stock Hawken/Plains style rifles of good quality and you can get them in flint or percussion, 50 or 54 caliber. This kit will run you about $400 with shipping. About a $100 savings over a prebuilt.

--Mike

I was wanting to guild a full stock percussion hawken or possibly southern Tennese long rifle. Think if I get a 98% inlet building the gun wont be much of a problem. I have plenty of wood working experience. Just not alot of bp exp.

Back