• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fur,Feathers and Things

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
How many out there use real sinew, Turkey feathers, fur Pipestone and other natural stuff for their craft work?

I think most do these days! I dont use much real sinew anymore, but regularly use bone, horn,animal skins (for furs,leather and rawide), Wild turkey feathers on occasion glass beads, shell etc. Most of the colored feathers, hawk, owl and eagle are just domestic turkey plumage...don'tuse these either!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup: just saw your empty buffalo sign off..

thanks and tt.g

almost everything i use in my constructions comes from the woods. black ash baskets, bark canoes, snowshoes, mukuks, etc. all ask for fresh scratch-made parts mostly shaped with axe and knife. all in all a very rewarding labor, but don't quit your day job.

take care, daniel

If I go to the trouble of making something I am going to use real materials and techniques as much as possible. I may however cobble something up as a trial for size or pattern... and end up using it for 10yrs.

I'd like to use all natural, but am sometimes too impatient to find the real thing. Cordage is the most basic element, and I really need to learn to make it. I grew a small patch of flax this summer, and have a hank of flax fibers stashed away to make some homemade linen thread. Also have some dogbane stalks for cordage, as well as obsidian for points and blades, red osier dogwood for arrow and atlatl shafts and turkey and goose feathers, etc. Also need to brain-tan a hide one of these days. Do have a couple of beaver furs that I earned the hard way, from the ice waters of a creek in February to the sweat of the skinning board ...

If you are really interested in those skills check out the Society of Primitive Technology.
They have a great magazine and I'm sure you can find some classes in your area.

I don't know if you're allowed to post info on other sites, but check out[url] Paleoplanet.com[/url]. The level of expertise there will blow you away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a better id for Paleoplanet? Just went there, and it's all computer junk and other sales. Surely you're not doing a placement here?

:redface: Sorry, Brown Bear, ya gotta cap both P's, viz:[url] PaleoPlanet.com[/url]. I'd do that link thing the computer genius's do, but don't know how. Sure wouldn't be posting a link to no dang hi tech junk. Like cars, I use 'em, but I sure don't like 'em. :grin:

tg said:
How many out there use real sinew, Turkey feathers, fur Pipestone and other natural stuff for their craft work?

You have ta do something with all the leavin's.

PB220015.jpg

It may as well be made into art or craft items.
:grin:

Use turkey feathers for fletchings, sinew to wrap on arrowheads, feathers, and just used for decor. on a hawk.

Use the fur and hides for quivers, bags, etc.

Try to use as much as I can.

Yes, on the day after Thanksgiving I made two turkey wingbone calls out of the wingbones and sinew.T.C.Albert's article in Muzzleloader magazine made it real easy. :thumbsup: Don Holsinger

I have been looking for some good soap stone to make a primative bullet mould out of with no luck. I found a chunck but it is too soft and poreous-want work. Can any of you tell me where I could get enough hard soap stone in dark green or black or grey to make this project. mudd turtle.

Here's a link for Paleo Planet...
[url] http://p081.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529[/url]

mudd trurtle,
Are you still looking for soapstone?
I have some and a friend of mine just called to tell me he found a bunch. It's still in the woods somewhere.
Any chance that you are going to Alafia?

Man: Just saw your post on soap stone. I will not be going Alfia but would like to at least see a sample of the stone you found.I have a small sample of a greenish gray stone that I am sure would make a fine bullet mould but it is to small . I got it from a Native american several years ago at a powwow. He was from Virginia but I have lost his address. If what you have and found isn't poreous and chalky it porbably wil;l work. Please let me know if you have enough to sell or whatever. Mudd Turtle.

Back