• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

G.M. Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read on here where people whipe the inside of their new green mountain barrels with steel wool. Is this something that must be done and how do I do it?

You only need to do this if it is cutting patches. Sometimes there are burrs or sharp edges where the rifling is cut on a brand new barrel.
Shoot the gun first, if you find it cuts your patches, unroll a strip of fine steel wool about a couple inches wide and wrap some around your cleaning jag, going for a snug fit in the bore but not so tight you have to force it in. Run it through the bore maybe fifty times,avoid pulling the wool out the muzzle except maybe ten or fifteen times. clean up and shoot again.
Green scotch brite around a bit undersize jag works great.

ian45662 said:
I have read on here where people whipe the inside of their new green mountain barrels with steel wool. Is this something that must be done and how do I do it?

I have one rifle with a 36" .40 GM barrel. That rifle shoots as good as I could hope from the start.

I'd recommend you take your GM rifle out and shoot it and see if it meets your demands for accuracy. If it does then clean it and store it until the next day at the range/field.

Do you remember the reasoning behind running steel wool in the barrel?

Old Salt

I wrap a thin layer of steel wool around a brass cleaning jag and run it up and down the bore to break the sharp edges where the rifling meets the bore.
These edges are usually very sharp and indeed, occasionally will have small burrs on them.
15-30 passes of the steel wool will remove any of these and it will not actually produce any real "wear" to the bore or the rifling.

Although it isn't absolutely necessary to do this unless the bore is cutting patches I figure why not do it? It just takes a little time and it will improve the barrel.

Back