• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planted peas out the other day, potatoes yesterday, and started kale seeds inside this afternoon. I’ll start spinach tomorrow.
We lost our poor old lady dog last Saturday night, so we buried her Sunday morning, and now we’re raising a mound over her grave. Wove a wattle enclosure as a raised bed, put a bunch of saplings and pine boughs in. Getting a yard of soil in there next week, and we’ll plant daffodils- she loved them- on top for next year.
Jay
Sorry to read about the pup. Those buggers definitely become part of your life, and stings as bad as loosing a human. I wish you comfort and peace.

You people do realize that I'm replying to my own thread merely to put it back on the "Latest Posts" list and hoping some gardener will spot it. Not because I have anything really to say.
A little too early to plant in Memphis. I wait until after Easter due to the always late freeze.

NW PA got snow last night and rain Tuesday. Should have tilled over the weekend when it was dry.
Then I won't even complain about our 40-45 degree weather today. But I will wait till tomorrow to "re-till" my garden. Today is a no work day. Its leap day and my sister-in-laws birthday. This makes her 17th actual birthday ( she's really 68) We'll be taking her out to eat.

Last edited:
I said I wouldn't but just had to go "mess" in the garden. I retilled the weedy part and transplanted several tomatoes. I started some seed in January from some seeds from last season. I think these seeds were from a cross between Large Red Cherries and Old German.I wouldn't waste my time trying this if either of the parent plants were hybrids.I only plant heirlooms. I thought maybe it was a Old German /Cherokee Purple cross but I see no characteristics of the Cherokee Purple.There were Cherries nearby so hopefully what I got is the LRC/OG cross.I had been trying for a Large Red Cherry and Brandywine cross but these are just fine. The fruit is about golf ball size, bigger than the cherry but smaller than the Old German. I think you'd call it a patio tomato. That was last year, let's see what happens this year.

Last edited:
This whole forum is like the grandad I never had everyone just loves talking about muskets, hunting and growing your own food, I am trying a garden for the first time in the yard this year cold here though so probably cant start till first week of may or so. I got Tomatoes, Basil, Onions, and Zucchini. I figure if I dont kill all of that I will try more next year, the lady is trying some flowers she likes as well we shall see who fares better!

I tried to get my wife to grow some flowers but she says "uh,uh". Her mother told her she had the opposite of a green thumb and "could kill a silk flower". So the flower bed that I put in is being used as a starter for early seeds. It's on the south side and has a garage for a wind break.

Then I won't even complain about our 40-45 degree weather today. But I will wait till tomorrow to "re-till" my garden. Today is a no work day. Its leap day and my sister-in-laws birthday. This makes her 17th actual birthday ( she's really 68) We'll be taking her out to eat.
Sorry folks, I edited that post to read 40-45 degrees. 55 was predicted but it never got out of the 40s. But I'd bet there are many areas that wished it was that "warm".

Older people here always said winter is not over till the pecan trees sprout.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301-082756_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240301-082756_Facebook.jpg
    553.5 KB
While I was in the woods today I saw that 2 of my 3 pear trees that border a food plot were blooming. They bloomed early last year too and got zapped by a late March hard freeze. Hope it doesn’t happen again.
I've found no trees to be 100%, just reliable most or some of the time.

Last edited:
My 3 pear trees are 9 years old now and pretty fair sized. They’re sand pears, which make good preserves and good browse for the deer. But, while I consider myself a fair to middling gardener, I’m horrible at successfully growing fruit trees. Over the last 10 years I planted many plum, apple, figs, and persimmon trees but either quickly or slowly all succumbed to one thing or another. The 3 pears and 1 fig tree are my only success. And the fig tree has been hit hard the last 2 years from hard winters and late freezes.

Got the new raised beds setup here at home. I did break up the soil a couple of weeks ago. Added the contents of several big tubs we’ve been growing stuff in. Tomorrow I’ll get 10 or so bags of fresh garden soil to top it off. First time using these concrete joints but I like them. I think we’ll go ahead and add another 2’ x 8’ section to form kind of a U shape. But not today, I’m worn out.

Attachments

• IMG_3370.jpeg
    IMG_3370.jpeg
    5.9 MB

Latest posts

Back