• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a dozen or so small tomato plants each from 3 different varieties that I started from seed in my wife's herb garden. They are on the south side of my garage to get the sunlight and are still very small. Anyway the neighbors chickens were scratching around and literally buried these plants under the leaves which came off the garage roof. I hope I found them in time and that they'll survive.These seedlings were started way back in January. I have found that down here we need to start the tomatos early because it takes about 90+ days for Heirloom tomatos to mature. If planted too late the Summer heat will be just too much for them.

These are heirloom seeds I planted. Tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers but I'm planning on a few purchases from the local nursery. As in creole tomatoes.. but as long as something grows for my granddaughter it's all good.

Attachments

• 20240306_163040.jpg
    20240306_163040.jpg
    2.5 MB
There is a discussion going on about hoes on another thread.I guess I ought to sharpen my hoes. I got a feeling weeds will be "abundant" this year.

These are heirloom seeds I planted. Tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers but I'm planning on a few purchases from the local nursery. As in creole tomatoes.. but as long as something grows for my granddaughter it's all good.
I agree Heirlooms are the way to go. Hybrids mature faster but Heirlooms taste like a tomato ought to taste. The way I remember.Oh, good job on that granddaughter thing. You are creating memories.

N.E. Missouri's seen record high temperatures the last coupla weeks - 81 degrees the first week of March. Colder again now - frost at night. May or may not have messed up things, too early to know. Been dry, now a bit of rain, but still too early to plant stuff.

What we have now is our Basset Hound, Max, who's developed an addiction to turnips. He goes to the garden, digs up a turnip, brings it into the house, and chows down. Over the winter, he's continued - consuming all the ones we left in the ground - mostly rotten (which really smell awful). Already planning on a separate turnip plot for him in hopes he'll leave mine alone.

I emptied out or compost bin in the new raised bed, but it didn’t go very far. Went and bought 10 bags of garden soil at our local center. They had 4-5 brands, most of which I’ve used before, and all the same price, $6.99 a bag!!! The owner recommended a new brand to me that was formulated by the LSU Ag Center and made in Brookhaven, MS. So that’s about as local as it gets for me. Still going to need 5-6 more bags. I didn’t need any, but I checked the price of 8-8-8 and 13-13-13, they were down to $14-$15/40lbs, so that was good news.

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpeg
    IMG_3371.jpeg
    7.2 MB
Oh I tried "Star of David" some years back and didn't have any luck with it either. It may have been a bad year or maybe it just don't do well down here. It is North Carolina variety, I think. Anyway I'm in soon-to-be-Hot South Texas.

It is early yet but I'd like to hear about any positive (or negative) results from Okra. But not either Clemson Spineless or Emerald Green. I've planted those for a few years and want try something different.
We grow quite a bit of okra (N.E. Missouri). Pickled ,fried, soups/stews, fresh. Since it likes hot weather, our results are varied depending on weather. Generally, we plant at least two varieties. One with a long growing season and another with more days to maturity. Specific ones I cannot say. We go by what's on the seed packets according to our zone and what's at the dealer's at the time. Management (wife) pickles are varied. My favorite is with garlic cloves, sweet red pepper slices, and dill weed.

Some years back my Mother gave me some Okra seeds and it was the best variety I had ever grown. The pods never got hard even when almost 10" long. Tall plants too, like okra used to be. But I failed to save the seeds and Mom didn't know what kind it was because an old farmer had given the seeds to her.I contacted the old farmer's sons and they did not know the varieties name.I am kicking myself.

I sure hope winter is over, I have everything in bloom here. Blueberries, peaches, Satsuma, grapevines. Come on spring. These files under fruit garden but still are part of the garden. 🙂

Attachments

• 20240309_144859.jpg
    20240309_144859.jpg
    2.2 MB
  • 20240309_144750.jpg
    20240309_144750.jpg
    1.7 MB
  • 20240309_144316.jpg
    20240309_144316.jpg
    3.5 MB
  • 20240309_144555.jpg
    20240309_144555.jpg
    1 MB
I sure hope winter is over, I have everything in bloom here. Blueberries, peaches, Satsuma, grapevines. Come on spring. These files under fruit garden but still are part of the garden. 🙂
Things are just starting to leaf out here at the house, but the camp is still bare except for the two pear trees that blossomed early. I did get my muscadines trimmed last trip.

For the last several years I put about 30 or so wheelbarrows of oak leaves on the garden. I just may skip it this year.That raking and loading up wheelbarrows is alot of work.But decayed leaves sure "mellow" up the soil. I usually try and do this before the first spring mowing but my nephew did the mowing today.This one I need to think about, should I or shouldn't I?

30 (wheelbarrows) is an arbitrary number that I gave myself. I could do less, I suppose. Wheelbarrow is how I used to do it. I now use a cart and riding lawnmower. But it's still work, those leaves don't rake and load themselves.

It seems that I always have a few extra tomato plants left over when my garden is completed. This is probably not by accident as I plant too many on purpose.I enjoy giving away plants as well as the actual tomatos later.There are several gardeners in our little community.That's were 3 lb.plastic Coffee cans come in.I'm happy to get rid of some of them.Drain holes drilled in the bottom are a must but everytime you water, some of the dirt is washed away.I had been using leaves to remedy that. I have recently started using used coffee filters on the very bottom of the can. Then the dirt. Yes, I should be using potting soil but dirt/soil works just fine.

Heavy winds and snow in my part of PA. Probably start some seeds end of this month, early April. I have some carp I shot last spring I chunked up and put in the freezer last spring I'm going to till in on my second till before planning. My game plan is solid, hopefully I can execute it well. Been thinking about one of these kits. Anyone have any experience with them?

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_122404424.jpg
    IMG_20240225_122404424.jpg
    973.6 KB
Stopped by the nursery today. That place was a "beehive". It appears alot of other gardeners got the planting bug.I bought a six pack of Straight Neck Squash and already have them in the ground.I want 3 more plants, I usually have 9. One of the brothers who run the place gave me a packet of Louisiana Green Velvet Okra seed.He said that he had these left over from his garden.My favorite price-No Charge.This makes a person wonder, Isn't it a bit early for Okra? The sun is out but the ground is a tad cold yet. And have any of you had any experience with this variety?

Latest posts

Back