• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back home and the garden here really changed for the better in one week. Tomatoes are loaded and the squash is starting to produce. Peppers have buds and blooms.

Attachments

• IMG_3739.jpeg
    IMG_3739.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3740.jpeg
    IMG_3740.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3741.jpeg
    IMG_3741.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3742.jpeg
    IMG_3742.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3743.jpeg
    IMG_3743.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Has anyone ever grown a brand of Bell Pepper known as Aristotle? Thought I'd try something different this year. In the past it was always California Wonder or Bug Bertha.I've had 2 already. Not as sweet as the others and a darker shade of green. Kind of like comparing an Oliver to a John Deere.

Well, I finally got my patch tilled today. Not a big garden by some of you guy's standards, but I'm excited. I got mamma 2 pair trees for mother's day, after I get those planted, I'm going to rake the garden and till in some chunked up carp I've got thawing. Rain forecasted the next couple of days so it will settle and I can get the cover fabric stuff on it. Keeping my fingers crossed I'll be planting mid week.

Attachments

• IMG_20240509_133738823.jpg
    IMG_20240509_133738823.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Has anyone ever grown a brand of Bell Pepper known as Aristotle? Thought I'd try something different this year. In the past it was always California Wonder or Bug Bertha.I've had 2 already. Not as sweet as the others and a darker shade of green. Kind of like comparing an Oliver to a John Deere.
California Wonder and Big Bertha are the only green bells I remember ever planting. Have some yellow bells planted now but forgot the variety. I'll check.

My first picked tomatoes this season. Large cherry tomatoes.
Killing me! I tried some Cherokee Purple cherry tomatoes last year for the first time. When they were ready I was out there every morning with a shaker of Tajin going at em. It's enjoyable seeing some of you guys with an early growing season enjoying some of the fruits of your labor.

I can’t seem to get the ground dry enough to plant. It’s beginning to get late for me. 3.5" fell last nite, 40% rain predicted every day next week. Maybe I can till Mon morn and get some out before rain.
I’ve found some Hickory King white corn to plant, just a handful of seed but I haven’t seen any fo at least 40 yrs. I also planting Jackson Wonder butter beans. I haven’t planted butter beans in more than 40 yrs.

I pulled up 9 squash plants and burned them. Hope alot of Vine Borer eggs "went up in smoke" as well. I did manage to get 2 servings before the squash crop was wiped out.
That is a shame. I don't have a vine borer problem (yet), but my plants are full of baby squash female blossoms but not a single male blossom has opened yet. So until they do there won't be any harvest here.

I had several tomato plants left over and in containers. One of those containers was a big pot from I don't know where,6 or7 gallons maybe? But it was still filled with the dirt, leaves, eggshells and manure from last year.I just planted the tomato (Brandywine) in it. It was doing great until a day or 2 ago. Yellow leaves and such. Looked like too much water.Plus it did need the extra space . I think it may have been becoming root bound. I figured there might also be something, a grub maybe, P in that leftover soil. I just got through transplanting it in Carol's herb garden. I won't tell if you won't. If it makes , well and good. If not what have I really lost?

Though this might be a little unusual....Went to the grand opening of a new Tractor supply store. I needed a bag of dirt to finish filling my tomato barrel. $14 for a 40 lb bag. Well , ain't no dirt worth that price. If it ever quits raining , I'll go down into the bottom in the woods , dig up a supply of never used good dirt , and plant. Also , Tractor Sup. wanted $18 for started tomato plants. Going to local green house......Four started plants for $4. I'll wait for tomato's to grow on less expensive smaller plants , so what is an extra 10 days.

Wrapping squash stems with aluminum foil to prevent borers does not work. Tried it last year. Total fail.

Also forgot to plant winter squash at the farm today. The good news is the hazelnut trees, red mulberry trees, and persimmon trees I planted 10 days ago are all leafing out. None of the potatoes I planted there have come up. Forgot to look to see if the sunchokes are up. I did get the game cam batteries changed.

Wrapping squash stems with aluminum foil to prevent borers does not work. Tried it last year. Total fail.

Also forgot to plant winter squash at the farm today. The good news is the hazelnut trees, red mulberry trees, and persimmon trees I planted 10 days ago are all leafing out. None of the potatoes I planted there have come up. Forgot to look to see if the sunchokes are up. I did get the game cam batteries changed.
So the aluminum foil thing don't work? I have been watching videos about how to combat the Squash Vine Borer. It's too late for this year, they already wiped me out. But next year is another challenge. One of the things that does seem to work is the "yellow trap". Any yellow container, even an upside down Frisbee, with soapy water attracts the moth that lays the eggs of the Vine Borer. I happened to have a yellow bucket. I wish I had seen that video a few months ago. I did manage to catch some moths but not all. It only takes 1 or 2. And the 1 or 2 that got away managed to lay enough eggs to do me in (this year).

They have killed so many of my plants in past years. I have tryed so many things to stop or slow them down. Going try again this year.
Another reason that I can see is my partially my fault for planting the squash in the exact same area as last year (s). There will be some rotation next year. I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I'll be trying but that'll have to wait until next growing season.

Back