• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gentlemans knife..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twice boom

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I been inspired with all the guys showing us their knives. No it's not for sale and I'm not looking for pats on the back even though all are welcomed.. :haha:

Actually I'm looking for opinios as to how close it might be PC as a patch knife light hunter a Gentleman or a clerk might take along on a days hunt. Yea you Nazi's can whoop up on me or you can call :bull: on it. If I'm off by a country mile I'll donate it to a good cause and make another.. :thumbsup: So let r'rip. and thanks for looking..

DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0089.jpg

Twice.

A lot nicer than I do.That would be a proud piece to anyones kit. The shape of that blade is as old as the hills,A blade of about 6 or 7 inches is in my opinion is a good camp,all around knife.
:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I tried my dangest to come up with a blade shape in the two books in my possession with what I had to work with,no go.. The blade started out to be something else ,that is until I screwed up what I was making. So, this is what I came up with a a second choice...
The deer antler handle,two iron pins ,iron pommel with pinned through tang is pretty much a standard (me think )way of holding the handle to the tang.

Twice.

That's a pretty knife, and once you get away from the factory made knives of the period, blade shapes do vary quite a bit. I'd think you'd pass muster just fine with this one.

If I may offer a suggestion, using the word "Nazi" to describe fellow Forum members isn't very polite given the origins and meanings of the word. I know you meant nothing by it, but it has caused problems in the past and lead to heated exchanges, at least among those of us old enough to remember what a Nazi was. :v

Russ T Frizzen said:
If I may offer a suggestion, using the word "Nazi" to describe fellow Forum members isn't very polite given the origins and meanings of the word.

I agree. It's simply not necessary to put that label on our members, especially before anyone even has a chance to comment. There's no need to start a topic with a defensive tone.

Gentlemen,Claude,Russ T and anyone else I might offended with my crass remark. Although I have been a member here since 07 it only been resent since I returned. The N word is new to me since I been back and only as a joke of sorts. I did not realize that anyone took the word latterly to mean a N from days gone bye. My apologies to all and especially to those I have offended..
Twice.

Twice boom said:
Gentlemen,Claude,Russ T and anyone else I might offended with my crass remark. Although I have been a member here since 07 it only been resent since I returned. The N word is new to me since I been back and only as a joke of sorts. I did not realize that anyone took the word latterly to mean a N from days gone bye. My apologies to all and especially to those I have offended..
Twice.

No problem. :thumbsup:

Comment and question.
First the comment, simple yet eloquent. :hmm: I like it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now for the question.
Are the bolster and butt cap pewter?

Hey Twice, that's SHARP!!! :rotf: Very nice knife. :bow: What did you use for the buttcap?

Warren :v

" simple yet eloquent."

Those words are music to my ears.
Thank you kind Sir. :hatsoff:
No, not pewter. Iron on both ends.

Twice.

Thanks Warren.

The but cap is made from a recycled fire place screen sheet metal. :wink:
Twice.

I really like it. :bow: Whatever you did to the handle looks great. Looks similar to Walrus ivory.

Thank you Sir..
Nothing special on the handle. Little dry sanding,then couple of coats of Pro-Dye medium brown from Tandy Leather Item #22056-04 . Sand in while wet then whipe..
For best results or for that look the antler has to be sun Bleeched.I use #3 grade for that look.

Thanks again ,glad you liked it.
Twice.

overall it looks fine to me and some call me a gentleman....sooo can I have it? :haha:

Actually, I'd like to know the dimensions of it. blade length, overall length, point of balance and what does it feel like in your hand? Will it whittle as well as peel fruit? Those are some things I look for in a knife.

Steve

Thanks Guys..
The Knife ballances on my index finger just back of the first iron pin. The blade is 3 3/4" with over all 7 3/4" he blade is from 01 . The knife is hand made as close as I can make one right now. The blade is file drawn the over all blade shape was done in my hand cranked forge.the bolster,end cap all filed to shape.. Hardening and tempering done in my little souldering iron pod over wood charcoal. Polishing with Japanese water stones...

Will it peel fruit? don't know . I do know it will shave me . :wink: A test I do to test for sharpness is to hold a sheet of legal pad paper free hanging in my left hand and with my right hand atempt to slice it in half with out the blade grabbing or gliding. Once the blade passes that test I will then attempt to have the knife start a cut on the same sheet of paper on the face of it. This knife has passed both tests with flying colors..
Hope that answers your question..

Now where is that Pichou when you need him. :hmm:

Twice.

Back