• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting back into the Game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppanepinto

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm lookin for entry level kit to build to try to get back into muzzleloading. I was lookin at the traditions crockett rifle kit because I want a small caliber. I am hoping to save up an get a Sitting Fox Southern later on, but before I try that I want a project to practice with first. Is this the right way to go or is there a better kit I should be lookin for?

the crockets a good little gun to shoot. I love mine. but mine was fatory built. help a guy build a st. lois hawken from tradtions there instructions aren't the best but we got it done. for a first time build I would almost say go with a lyman gpr. great gun and comes with a good book of instructions. or a deer slayer. also a lyman gun. or maybe look around and find a cva kit some where they were good kits to do. a have 2 of them I did.

Welome to the forum!

Traditions sells the LOW END stuff, pieces of garbage, if you ask me. I would save my money and get something better. Try TVM or get a Lyman.

As big a Lyamn fan as I am, I've heard nothing but problems from the people who have started building the GPR kits lately. Perhaps the Cabelas Hawken rifles come in kit form? That about as entry level as they get, the next step up being an "in the white" rifle from TVM or Sitting Fox, then one of their kits. I'm sure you'll get even more suggestions and answers to your question, we have quite a knowledgeable and talented board here.

im just completing my gpr kit and i have to say it was a pleasure to build. i would highly recommend the lyman gpr kit to anyone interested in getting their hands dirty and building a relatively easy rifle kit. i would avoid traditions.

Back