• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting ready to get started!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FS58

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I'm almost ready to start on my first real build. Got my barrel and stock the other day and ordered the rest of the stuff from TOW last night. Rifle will be a Full stock, Flintlock Hawken Plains Rifle. I'm getting antsy now, can't wait to get going on this project.

Please post pictures of the components and of your progress. Thanks--Allen

I know the feeling. Study the parts for a while, how they go together etc. locate the ramrod hole as it passes into the lock area etc. Get to know the thing well before you start. It's fun and a practical thing to do. Now, I can't wait to go home and work on one.

I've been reading some books, looking at drawings, and looking at some rifles a friend of mine built. My stock is somewhat pre-carved with the barrel channel cut and the ramrod channel and hole done. The ramrod channel is only 3/8 and I need it to be for 7/16, so one of the first things to do is enlarge the R R Channel and hole. When the rest of the parts come in, I am going to lay them all out and take pictures before I start. I built a CVA Hawken from a kit years ago, but this is going to be a much bigger challenge.

You may want to re-think enlarging the ramrod hole and groove and using a 7/16 ramrod. A 3/8s will make for a slimmer forestock and a 3/8s ramrod is sufficient for loading. I have a 62 caliber longrifle and the 3/8s rod does a good job loading.

Frank/Pa, I'm going with a 58 cal. so I figured I would need the additional stiffness of the bigger rod. Maybe not?

I suggest you leave the RR hole alone..... It is adequate for roundball & also will look better being smaller. I have loaded a .58 caliber for 35 years with a 3/8" rod & it has always done the job.

Sounds great. I built one of those about two years ago and really enjoy it. I will add my voice to the chorus of leaving the ramrod channel at 3/8" for all the reasons the others have said. Mine was supposed to be cut for a 7/8" but none of the ramrod ferrels I got would fit a 7/8" rod. Don't know how they measure those things. I ended up putting a set of 3/8" ferrels on it and using the smaller rod. It looks better and works just fine.

Thanks Guys, That's one more thing I don't have to worry about doing.

Back