• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting rid of surface rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bscott

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I just bought a T/C Renegade used and it has just slight surface rust in the barrel.Someone told me to use 000 steel wool around the ramrod but I can,t seem to get it to stay on.The gun shoots just fine but I would like to clean it out.Any help would be useful.Thanks.

Usually, a few strands wrapped around a bore brush is used. When the brush reaches the breech make sure you turn the rod clockwise (tightening the brush) a bit as you pull backwards. It makes it easier to withdraw the brush. Otherwise the bristles have to bend back over themselves and it can result in pulling the end of the rod off. If you are using the ramrod, be very sure the end is pinned. A dedicated range rod/cleaning rod is a better idea.

You did not advise the caliber of your rifle, but find a shotgun mop that will fit in the bore. Coat the mop with automotive rubbing compound and run it down the bore several times, then clean with hot soapy water, then run down a patch coated with light machine oil....Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to use steel wool, use the finer 0000 steel wool, and wrap it around a bore brush. The bristles will hold the wood to the brush.

YOu can also use products like JB Bore Cleaner.

The problem usually is that someone heated the barrel too hot when last cleaning it- ususally using boiling water in the barrel- which is not necessary . Water is the solvent. Hot water will speed the process of cleaning, but skin temperature, or " tepid " water will work as well, and won't burn your hands, OR produce flash rust in the barrel.

Once the water is dried from the barrel, wipe the barrel with a cleaning patch coated with a good oil or lube, like T/C's Wonderlube. Or use a product called Ballistol. Both will protect the bore during storage.

Remember to clean the stuff out of the barrel before you take the gun shooting again. Alcohol on cleaning patches, and poured down the barrel to clean the powder chamber, and the flash channel at the back of the barrel do a good job of getting all the grease and oil out of the gun.

Then, put a thin-- I DO MEAN THIN- coat of oil on a new cleaning patch and run it down the barrel to protect the lands and grooves during transporation from home to range or field. A dry cleaning patch will remove most of that fine coat of oil and make the gun ready to load with powder.

Back