• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting the caps on tight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole discussion is most interesting. Caused me to further "research" on the web. Only found one instance of an accidental discharge thumbing the cap on the "tube" - Cuts Crooked had his thumb "peeled like a banana" and blackened, and he lost all feeling in it permanently. Happened 30 or 40 years ago, and there was some discussion as to maybe caps being made differently today, lead styphnate. I don't know.

Of millions of caps being made, one could be defective. If it detonates, your thumb is getting blasted with the blowback from your chamberload of blackpowder.

Another safety consideration is keeping your off-hand digits away from the front of the cylinder.

And, as noted above, Elmer Keith wrote of raising blood blisters on his thumb from caps exploding while he was seating them (again, an older, different type of cap?)

A dowel seater might be propelled back at you.
And seating with the hammer, a detonation would send the full powered ball down the barrel - (pointed in a safe direction!) A detonation from a detached cylinder would have less force.

Not taking sides, or arguing with anyone's point of view, just fueling the fire. We're dealing with things that have an element of danger to them, which is part of the appeal of the sport. I doubt any will change what they already do, and I don't know that they should. Just something to think on...or not. Shoot on!

Sounds to me as if a previous owner changed out the nipples. Many people will do that so they can shoot #11 caps instead of having to hunt the #10 caps that fit the standard revolver nipples. If you have some #11 caps see if they fit. Another probability is that a previous owner liked to dry fire the revolver and hammered the nipples down until the caps will no longer fit. Never, never dry fire a C&B revolver, it will ruin the nipples by flattening out the tops. You can correct this problem by removing the nipples and chucking the threaded ends in a drill. Be careful not to damage the threads. Then use a fine file or some emery paper to dress the ends of the nipples as you turn in in the drill. Slow your drill down to do this and work slowly so you don't over do it.

BTW, there is a way to dry fire your revolver if you want to. Go to your local hardware store and buy some small Tygon tubing. It is the soft clear plastic tubing that comes on rolls at the hardware store. Buy a foot or so and cut small pieces that will fit over the nipples and keep the hammer from hitting them. They will last for a few dry firings and then have to be replaced as they smash down.

Back