• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GM Barrel Update - Sight question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave63

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I posted a couple of weeks ago that I got a new Green Mountain roundball barrel. After a day at the range, I think it's going to work out. After only setting in the sights, I've got a 2-1/2 inch group at 75 yards, and all shots within 6" at 100. That is without even working up the best load. That is using 100 grains 2F, .530 ball, and pillow ticking patch. Hopefully I can experiment with powder and patch next weekend.

My only complaint is that I don't like the sights. I want to be able to put the same sight as my stock Renegade. The new barrel has a bead front sight. My stock Rnegade sights is just a square notch in the rear, and a squared flat post up front. I like it because you can place the top of the front post center of target, and still see it. The bead just spins my head and I can't get around it. I've tried to exchange the sights with the Renegade barrel, but the dovetail is a different size.

Anybody know where I can get that type of sight for the GM barrel? Or any idea on tightening up the dovetail so my front post of choice doesn't drift all over the place in the larger dovetail?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave:fixing the fron sight from moving is simple take a center punch and dimple the slot in the dovetail it will raise the metal and help the front sight from moving.
The square front sight blade and square rear sight yep I have one set on a older Renegade flinter,easy to set up a 6 O clock sight picture to get on target.
I have to agree with you with that front bead it covers alot of the target when you get out to 100 yard target.I found a set up that works for me with older eye I use a fiber optic front sight and t/c hunter peep on the tang.

Lone Wolf,

I'm not crazy about the original front sights on my Renegade. I'm old, wear bifocals and have trouble getting things in focus. How do you like that Hunter Peep? Is the aperture removable to make a ghost ring?

My Renegade has a small screw between the two that fasten the tang to the stock. I'm assuming that you remove it and screw the tang sight into the hole. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Jimbo

Dave:fixing the fron sight from moving is simple take a center punch and dimple the slot in the dovetail it will raise the metal and help the front sight from moving.

Man that's a good idea. Wish I'd have thought of it. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Dave

Are you target shooting only ,or are you developing a hunting load, your load sounds like hunting to me, my green river barrel is starting to tighten up after a hundred rounds though it so you just about on target but it takes time for the real accuracy to come out of the barrel, but have fun and my black smoke.
I personally like to set up my sites for a 6 o'clock hold it allows me to concetrate on the black and if I site my rifle in at 50 yards and at the 6 o'clock hold then I bring up the front site to 12 o'clock hold at 100 and score the bull, , this just myste up but might not work for you.
Start with around 65 grains of 3 fg for target work and work up in 5 garin incraments after you notice your group tightening up, this hobby just get more interesting by the day. bb75

Back