• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

goex fffg loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am try different powders to see what works best in my 50 cal pedersoli frontier. I bought some american pioneer ffg, 777 fffg and goex fffg.
Wondering what some of you guys with more experience have found works the best as far as loads go_Oh yea I am shooting PRB

You might try starting with 60 gr of 3f and then work up and down from there depending on what you are using the rifle for. If just for targets, it doesn't matter if it is a light load. If for deer hunting probably 70-80 grs would be better.

Is 80 grains about as much as you want to go? What do think is a max load for 3f?

A max load depends on the gun. I am not going to state max loads because i don't use them, and i don't want someone to maybe get hurt by using a load i suggested. For deer hunting with a .50 cal. i think 80 grs of 3f is plenty. JMO

I'll second what Rebel said. In my .50, I use 80grs of 3f for my hunting prb load. Shooting more that 80grs of 3f for a prb in a 50cal, would be a waste of powder.IMHO

thanks for the info, any idea what velocity i would get with 80 grains

Depends on the barrel length and rate of twist but probably between 1800-1900 fps. I don't have a chrony, so can't say for certain.

Would this load be enough for elk or do I need to look at shooting a different bullet? I know that shot placement is everything. Do you guys think this combo would penetrate thru the shoulder?

I have never shot an elk, so i can't really say. I do know that it will shoot clear through a large western mule deer out to 60-70 yds. 85 grs of Goex 3f should be about the same as 100 grs of 2f.

I am trying to get a feel for the limitations of this gun and load combo. You guys have been doing this alot longer than I have. I am a bowhunter that is just getting into Black powder so pardon my lack of knowledge. You think that a resonable range limitation for this would be somewhere around 80 Yards?

Vand1 said:
I am try different powders to see what works best in my 50 cal pedersoli frontier. I bought some american pioneer ffg, 777 fffg and goex fffg.
Wondering what some of you guys with more experience have found works the best as far as loads go_Oh yea I am shooting PRB

The industry rule of thumb that when using 3F, reduce the 2F load data by 15%.

With TC's published max load of 110grns of 2F, I use 90grns of 3F (actually a 19% reduction) for my .50cal deer hunting RB load....according to TC's manual, it should be in the neighborhood of 2000fps...extremely accurate and outstanding on deer.

I think for elk i would go with Roundballs load of 90 grs and try to keep my shot under 100 yds, and would prefer them to be under 75 yds if possible. But like you said, Shot Placement is the key to success.

I don't believe a .50 caliber round ball is suitable for elk. If I were going after elk, I'd take something bigger. If you're going to use a .50 caliber on elk, shoot them through the lungs and be prepared to do some tracking. That shoulder will stop a 110 grain 50 caliber ball like a brick wall.

I think a .490 diameter pure lead ball weighs 176 grains and a .495 diameter pure lead ball weighs 182 grains.

This puts them in the same weight range as some favorate modern Elk medicine. :)

your going to have about 475 eng at 100 yds it really would be better to get 75 or better again shoot placement is everything , guys do drop elk at 100 they also can ring a 6" gong from 100? But to be sure 75... Fred :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back