• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good carrying Rig for a 1860 Army?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulegunner

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Im kinda looking to set up my 1860 to carry in the field while knocking around hiking and such. Im kinda leaning towards a flap holster and belt. I was wondering what you folks use or any thoughts on the subject.

This is a custom slim jim but Cimarron Arms sells something very similar. [url] http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/949073/batesholster9.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a good quality flap holster from the Regimental Quartermaster:
[url] http://www.regtqm.com/leather.htm[/url]

It's item LG31 down on the page a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've settled on some sort of shoulder holster as by far the most comfortable and practical way to carry a long barreled handgun. The gun doesn't poke into your ribs when you sit and you don't have to take it off to answer a call of nature! Under a coat you only have to unzip a short way to reach the gun, a belt rig under a coat is really awkward. Of course, any gun under a coat is concealed and that is the only reason I got a carry permit. :grin:

It is ridiculously easy to make a Slim Jim for your Colt. I start with a manilla folder for the pattern, then cut out the form from 7-8 ounce vegetable tanned leather. Wet mould, trim and stitch and you're done.

Cabella's has a Civil War type flap holster that's reasonably priced and easy to get mail order.
That's what I use for knocking around with my replica 1860 Army Colt :thumbsup: graybeard

Bill I have some leather, how can I identify 7 or 8 oz? I have a cliper - does 7 or 8 oz equate to a thickmness?

Thanks

I would say one of the CW type flap holster would be good. You could also go with a slim jim but I would suggest some kind of hammer thong. Lined holsters sometimes give you a snugger fit than unlined. Just depends on how the holster was wet molded.

1 oz. = 1/64" 1/8 " = 4 oz.
Saddle and chap maker for 35 yrs. Made lots of hosters 9/10 oz. works better for long hall 7/8 will work though.
:thumbsup:
Slenk

I carry a cap 'n ball while muzzleloader deer hunting. Especially when hunting from a tree stand. The pistol is perfect for those strong side close in shots that you could never make with a long gun without spooking the game. I prefer the flap holster, cross draw style, worn on the weak side. I have tried the shoulder holster but have gone away from it. The sweat and body heat in that location produces a lot of moisture in some situations. I did away with the shoulder holster after a day of turkey hunting when I found my Ruger OA literally wet and developing slight surface rust. You spoke about hiking with one of these, this could be a problem during that type of activity. Flap holsters protect the gun, especially the grips which take a beating while going through brush in a tradional holster. The flap holster will also keep the weapon dry during rain and snow. Dixie gun Works sells some decent flap holsters for as little as $20.00. I get these, they last three or four seasons then I replace them.

keep in mind that in some states, ohio for one, it is illegal to carry a side arm when deer hunting. i don't know kentucky game laws, i'll leave that up to you guys.

No limit on how many firearms you can carry here while hunting deer anyway, just can't be rim fire cartridge guns. There are none of those 500 ft. pound restrictions either like they have in Illinois. That type of restriction would prevent you from using most, if not all, cap and ball revolvers for hunting. I suppose Ohio is pretty restirctive in its hunting regulations for reason, population density, relatively flat land most places being two good ones. I know I see a lot of guys down here from Ohio hunting and they love it.

mulegunner said:
Im kinda looking to set up my 1860 to carry in the field while knocking around hiking and such. Im kinda leaning towards a flap holster and belt. I was wondering what you folks use or any thoughts on the subject.
I've been carrying mine in an old cheap holster that doesn't really fit right, but after reading this thread, I just ordered this one from TOTW, along with matching belt. If you're not in a big rush to get one, I'll let you know how this one turns out (quality and such) as soon as I get it. :thumbsup:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=1&subId=6&styleId=20&partNum=HOLSTER-MO-R

Thanks for all the replies guys! I am surprised and happy about all the responses here. I didnt expect to hear so much so quickly. Im gonna check out some of the links for the flap holsters, they seem better suited for my needs. But I do like the idea of the tracing and stiching my own slim jim as well......
Again thanks for all the responses :hatsoff:

I'd go the flap holster for what you intend to do. Carry mine in a Hickok holster when walking the edges of the pond shooting snapping turtles. Comes out fast but will slide out if bemding over.

Sorry, Mule, for taking so much time to update. :shake: Got my holster from TOTW and I really like it. Fits my 1860 like a glove and seems pretty heavy duty. Not at all bad for around $20 (or closer to $40 with the matching belt, which I got also, and which is very heavy duty). It has two holes in the flap strap, so you can use it with either the 1860 or the 1851/1861. Here's some barely passable pics :haha: :

fh1.jpg

fh2.jpg

fh3.jpg

fh4.jpg

:hatsoff:

Back