• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good Kit Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nenajungas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Im interested in getting a flintlock pistol kit. Im thinking about 50 cal. using for both matches as well as hunting. I'm thinking to spend around $150-$200. Does any one have any suggestions or web sites with some resonable pistols? Thanks for all your help.
Nenajungas

Deer Creek Products has some flintlock kit guns that are around $150 and are basicly copies of the old CVA Mountain Pistol.

Their number is 1-765-525-6181. Sorry, but they do not have a website. No e-mail either--but they are good people to deal with in my opinion.

The Pedersoli kit at Dixie Gun Works is $195, but I don't know of ANY kit at Track of the Wolf that is even close to getting under $200. Still though, you should check them out...

Keep us informed of what you decide and your progress.

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

I have been thinking about a Deer Creek Flint pistol but I was wondering how well the lock worked? Any comments?

I have a trapper, shoots good, as good as the jerk on the trigger that is! :crackup: actually its not bad at all, a litl front heavy, can be offset with a butt cap to balance it, also its just like all other production guns you buy it can use a litl tlc on the moving parts of the lock and triggger mechs. if you own a honing stone and a dremel thats not a prob. clean up all the moving parts and polish them out and it can be a real nice smooth shooter, ive had several lymans in the past and i prefer the traditions over lymans, let us know what you get! hope this helps, good luck!

AutionArms always has some of those underhammer pistols new in kit form for around $130. A decent value.
Jack

I have a Trapper that shoots very well after I changed the sights to something these old eyes could see. Mine has been trouble free for 4 or 5 years now.

Hank

Thanks for that web site i found a trapper up for bid at auction arms and am the current high bidder for it im hopping to get it to fix the lock and also refinish the stock. I hope it turns out well

crockett said:
I have been thinking about a Deer Creek Flint pistol but I was wondering how well the lock worked? Any comments?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I've been recovering from a bad fall. Doing reasonably well, just trying to keep the Grim Reaper away for a few more decades, if possible...

Anyway, don't expect the lock quality to be outstanding on a pistol kit that just costs as much as the entire lock does of some guns.

I will tell you it does NOT have a fly, and it has SPAIN in big letters on the backside of the lockplate. I don't know if that means the lockplates only came from there or that the particular model that I have was actually a Spanish made gun.

It's on the smallish side, but has worked fine for infrequent use. I don't know how it would hold up to rough treatment or really heavy usage...? I s'pose the thickness of the hardening on the frizzen is a factor that would affect it, but have no way to measure that . Mine seems to spark fairly good anyway.

That's about all I can tell you. There ought to be someone else on here who can tell you I would think... maybe not?

You could always replace a bad lock I guess... that could happen with ANY gun kit.

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

PS I'm not into rocklocks as much as most other people are, so I am no great authority on these devices, but I do like them and as I get older (read that SLOWER!), I am starting to prefer them more...

Back