• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good Manufacturers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimboAfg

Pilgrim
Reaction score
What companies produce good blackpowder firearms?
I don't mind parting with a few clams to purchase a decent gun!

I think more details will be needed. What type of gun(rifle, handgun, shotgun, fowler, smoothbore) and your intent of what you expect in a gun. You want a good BP gun that goes bang or an historical correct gun. What is a good amount of money to you? Some it is $150 for some it is $3000.

If you want one made for you, then do look at TVM for a semi-custom gun at an affordable price. If you can swing more than $1000 then there are builders on this forum who do great work.
If you can't wait or afford one to be made then look at Thompson Center, Lyman/Investarms, or Pedersoli.

Dave has the right approach , what type of shooting, hunting/target, flint/percussion, any "style" you have seen that you liked over others,any concerns withhaving the gun be "replica" quailty in parts used and appearance
there are a lot of builders here and elsewhere who could build whatever you want, but the choice needs to be yours,you can get some imput from the forum on choosing a style with a bit more detail on your part, there are a lot of ML gun types out there from 1650-1860 (ball park dates for flintlock/percusion/ beginning of cartridge era)

This'll start a firestorm.

I would steer clear of Pedersoli.

I have bought and used several, and every one of them had problems. Soft frizzens, burrs on the interior of rifle barrels, soft lock parts, etc.

The final straw for me was the 45/70 Sharps reproduction that turned out to have .461 bore.

Those problems combined with the total lack of concern from their customer service department were enough for me. I'll never buy another one.

T/C is good, and so is Lyman. I have no real experience with any of the others.

The question of what do you plan to do with this gun, and price range are important questions. Without that information, everyone is whistling into the wind.

That said, Early Rustic makes a decent gun, for a good price.
http://www.earlyrusticarms.com/pricesanddescriptions.htm

IMHO, for an entry level rifle in a hunting caliber, TC or Lyman are good choices.

I would avoid most of the Pedersoli offerings, though I do own a couple, as well as traditions and CVA.

IMHO,if I were to spend enough to buy something comparable to the Pedersoli offerings, I would buy American. The price difference isn't all that much, and American made guns are MUCH higher quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flint or percussion? Do you want it to be period correct? If so, what period? Smoothbore or rifled? How do you want it furnished? Is your primary interest in hunting, target shooting, or reenacting? Most importantly, what does "a few clams" convert to in actual U S currency?

for what it's worth, i'd go with Thompson Center or Lyman, unless you're OK with plonking down 1200 dollars or more for a well made custom piece.

BILLYGOAT said:
Thompson Center.... :thumbsup:

Or have a custom gun built. :hatsoff:

Exactly! You can NOT beat T/C's LIFETIME warranty on their guns!!! And they shhot good too :thumbsup:

Thompson Center is the way to go unless you wish to spend a lot more. Often a used TC rifle can be found at very reasonable prices. TC offers a life time warrenty. If you wish a PC correct weapon, check out Tenn Valley Muzzleloading, they offer very nice rifles. If this is your first muzzle loader, I'd recommend you start with a TC.

Back