• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got an eight point

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Only got one picture camera messed up, had a nice pic. in the woods with the rifle laying on him. errrrr. :shake:

Anyway, I was in my ladder stand and about an hour after sun rise he came by. Seen four does prior so i imagine he was trailing them.
Quartering away shot at about 50 yards using a 530 round ball over 80 grains of FFF.
Hit him in the ribs and he dropped in his tracks, awesome. :applause:
First deer with the new Blue Ridge 54.

eightpointbuck.jpg

Congratulations Pitchy!! :thumbsup:
That's a real dandy. Good to hear of yet another rifle getting broken in the right way.

Thanks bucktales, matchlock goes out this afternoon for a doe, i might be all done the first day. :)

Good luck on a doe.
That happened to me once in Vermont regular season. I was there for the entire season and I shot a buck in the first hour of the season. So I hunted bear for a couple of days till it closed. The rest of the time I played camp cook, house cleaner, fire wood boy, as well as dog .

:thumbsup: Very nice Buck! You mentioned a quartering away shot. Did the RB exit? I don't see a wound on this side. I'm curious what caused him to drop so well. Vitals only hit or was the nervous system also hit?

At any rate he is a beauty! :thumbsup:

bucktales said:
Good luck on a doe.
That happened to me once in Vermont regular season. I was there for the entire season and I shot a buck in the first hour of the season. So I hunted bear for a couple of days till it closed. The rest of the time I played camp cook, house cleaner, fire wood boy, as well as dog .

Thanks guys, i haven`t got around too giving him a thorough going over. I only seen one big entry hole when i dressed him out, did look like it took out both lungs for sure. Might of went into the far shoulder, i update later.

If it is still in him then that's an added plus. I like recover bullets and see how the performed. :thumbsup:

Great stuff Pitchey! And with a flinter too! Grand I say! :hatsoff: Nice lookin animal you harvested there brother! I AM envious!:hmm: :grin:

Davy

very nice! :thumbsup:
But when I first saw the photo it tool me a second to see that the stripes were lighting, my first thought was "What the heck? is that Cow-deer?" :rotf:

Nice Pitchy! :thumbsup:

If he's still whole you can still take him down and get some good pic's with the gun in the yard.

Swamp Rat said:
Nice Pitchy! :thumbsup:

If he's still whole you can still take him down and get some good pic's with the gun in the yard.

Good idea, i`ll do that after the wife gets home this afternoon.
Davy this is a cap lock, the last one i bought from Cabel`s.
Thanks guys.

Took the metal detectore and found the ball, stuck under the hide on the far side. Don`t know what too say, big entry hole.
Maybe it bounced around inside him :haha: he dropped in his tracks.

54ball07buck.jpg

Thats what you call full impact. I recovered a .54 ball that looked the same as yours from a 7 point I shot at 60 yards. He took 3 steps and each step got closer to the ground, collapsed on the third step. Impressed me. :thumbsup:

Must be buddy, i thought there would of been more expansion on the ball. Must of been a heck of a shock wave. :)

Nice deer. Congratulations on a successful hunt. Since you were shooting downward from a stand, I suspect that your ball hit his spine, which is lower than most people think. I am not surprised at how little the ball expanded. At that close range, the ball would plow through the soft bones of a deer easily, without much of an upset. Take a look for the wound track when you get that hid off him. That will tell the story. Its likely you will find a broken bone that flattened your RB.

Pitchy,
That's a nice buck! :bow: :bow: I'm headin' to ol' Alabam to get me one too! Can't wait. Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Latest posts

Back