• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly goose

45 Cal.
Reaction score
3rd day of bp season here in NY. I took the week off to spend some time with the rifle I built this year, and to see if I could finally complete it by taking a nice fat doe.

I made a makeshift blind in the midst of a few small Christmas trees. It was nice and cozy because I was somewhat sheltered from the 15-20mph wind. As cold as it was, low to mid 20's, the sun felt good and I drifted off for a nap. Not sure how long I was napping but I woke up about 1:30 and looked to my left, through the trees I was nestled in. There were two does appx 20 yard away. They were a little too far to my left to make a shot, so I'd have to move a bit. I made a little noise and they moved off a bit. I took advantage of them moving and shifted around and took a rest on one of the trees. When the larger doe stopped and turned broadside to look back the sights settled on her like I was using a bench. First the set trigger, then pressure on the front trigger. At the shot, both deer ran directly away from me into a thicket about 30 yards from them. I watched both deer clear the thicket and run up a ravine on the far side. The small deer stopped and looked back, the large one ran into the cedars with it's tail up.

Odd, the sights were perfect, but well hit deer don't usually run with their tail up. I waited 10 minutes, reloaded, and couldn't stand it anymore. I went to where the doe was at the shot, about 60 yards or so. Nothing, no hair, no blood. Slowly followed her tracks into the thicket. Nothing. About 10 yards into the thicket a lil blood. A few more yards, a lil more blood, now this is how its supposed to be. She jumped across a small stream and I could see blood on the other side.

I go across, the stream to the last blood, and thats it. No more blood. I follow tracks up the ravine to where I saw the deer go, nothing. I spend a good amount of time combing the cedars, nothing. Hmmmm...

Back to the spot of first blood. Follow it back to last blood. Hmmmm, weird, they usually don't just bleed and then stop this quickly. I stood looking around for a minute, and to my surprise catch some brown about 20 feet away in the thick stuff. When she jumped the stream, she made a hard left. There must have been another deer in the thicket that I was unaware of and that is why I saw two deer run out of the thicket and up the ravine. So there you have it, you don't always see what you think your seeing.

I am so happy with my rifle. .50 caliber, 70gr ffg, .024 denim patch with mink oil. PRB hit right where I was aiming. Perfect, probably my most satisfying deer yet, and first with a flint gun.

I'll have to get momma to help me with a pic later.

QUOTE "the sun felt good and I drifted off for a nap. Not sure how long I was napping but I woke up about 1:30 and looked to my left, through the trees I was nestled in. There were two does appx 20 yard away."

I always make it a habit to shoot any deer that wakes me up from a good nap.

Look forward to the photo.

PJC

408331276.jpg
[/img]

I usually don't smile for pics, but couldn't help it this time. Feel like a kid.

silly goose said:
I am so happy with my rifle. .50 caliber, 70gr ffg, .024 denim patch with mink oil. PRB hit right where I was aiming. Perfect, probably my most satisfying deer yet, and first with a flint gun.
That's outstanding, congratulations !
:thumbsup:

Congratulations on your doe! Definitely worth smiling about. :thumbsup: :)

Congratulations! That was a great story and you should be smiling and proud of your rifle and deer! Thanks for posting! :hatsoff:

I was wearing the same "woollies" this year when I took my first flintlock whitetail. They must be the key!
Great job all around

I am almost religious with what I wear in the deer woods, been using the same clothes and boots for years. That light creme colored sweatshirt has had a lot of blood washed off the cuffs, but I am careful to keep it covered while hunting. I had a wool plaid shirt over that, and a red checkered wool parka over that. Toastie toes in my boots, wool watch cap and a fleece balaclava over that, did I mention the wind? :grin:

I don't fuss too much over scent, I just hunt the wind, it's been working for years.

A great hunt, still living it, and will for quite some time. I can't believe all the little things came together so well.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Let me see if I got this right...sleep in the stand and wear old clothes. Now I see my mistake!! :haha:

Latest posts

Back