• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

got my Jeff Tanner mould, now what?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelgourmet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a Jeff Tanner mould for my .56 cal T/C renegade and the blocks look great, but what handles do I use for them? Also is there any thing on these blocks I need to lube before I use them?

Thanks in advance, Dick

I use Lyman handles on mine.I got a .535 from him,and it is one of the best that I have. All you need to do is clean it before you use it,I don't use anything on the mould while using it. :m2c:

I just got a Jeff Tanner mould for my .56 cal T/C renegade and the blocks look great, but what handles do I use for them? Also is there any thing on these blocks I need to lube before I use them?

Thanks in advance, Dick

I use both Lyman Lg, and Lee.
I see no reason why SAECO, or RCBS wouldn't work just as well, that "screw" location is well thought out.

Dolar for dolar, If you're going to have to buy a new set of handles, get a Lee. They work as well as any, and are less than 1/2 the price of some.

Russ

Dick: I use Lyman on mine just because I had the extra pair but lee's work also. I smoke the cavity with a kitchen match before making bullets but dont use any thing else on the molds. If you didn't get the sprue cutter from Jeff just get a pair of sidecutter pliers and cut a concave in the back side that is ball shaped but don't go to deep. Don't cut into the cutting jaws. This will let you cut the sprue with almost a tangent cut. They make good bullets.
Fox :thumbsup:

If you're an old hand at casting, I'm sorry for this little bit of nuisance, if not, the first thing ya need to do before using the mould is to clean it. Any oil in the cavity will wreak havoc on your bullets till it's burned off, and that can take a while, HOT soap and water followed by alcohol or other degreaser then allow the mould to dry by warming it while you melt the lead. If the mould starts to become difficult to open a teeny tiney bit of bullet lube in the joint, don't let it run into the cavity or you'll have to burn it out again. As mentioned, after the mould is hot and dry, smoking helps the bullets to drop out easier. There is nothing difficult about casting once ya figure out the little stuff.

B.Ford

Dick: It's seperate can't put a cutter on a round mold. It's just a pair of side cutter pliers with a cavity ground in the back side to match the round mold. Cuts the sprue very close to ball diameter. Just go to Wally World and get the cheapest sidecutters you can and grind to fit. Just leave enough cutting edge to cut with. Jeff's were made in China and cost I think about $3.
Good luck
Fox :thumbsup:

Back