• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my tools, ready to disassemble, any words of warning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nine7one

Proud 1851 Navy owner
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I got all my basic gunsmithing tools and I'm ready to take apart my new 44 cal Pietta 1851 Navy to learn what makes it tick. I still plan to send it to a real gunsmith to smooth out the terrible action and make a few other adjustments I want. I know my way around non black powder handguns, but the work this one needs are way beyond my ability and comfort level for me to even attempt them.

Before I start taking mine apart I just wanted to check in here to see if there are any things I should avoid doing or require more than the basic gunsmithing tools I purchased. Thanks in advance for any assistance! David

Yeah, don't bugger the screws, use the bit that fit's,, buggered screws look bad.
It's interesting that you mentioned that. After reading up on basic gunsmithing tools, the largest expense I made was for a set of screwdrivers specifically designed for gunsmiths. When they arrived I took out a few screws and quickly discovered there was pretty much no way I could have done it with standard screwdrivers without risking messing up the screw heads, so thanks for the advice! David

Magnet is your friend, collects all the bits, and helps find the ones that go flying.

Use a socket to remove the cones. Mine were hard as heck to get out with a tool.
A 1/4 drive socket is how they come in and out now.

Two items I have found helpful:
A gun cleaning mat. It protects my table top and the gun. Also, small parts don't bounce or roll around on it.
A magnetic bowl for small parts. It has a weighted bottom which keeps it stable and tip free.
Edit: Good lighting plus a penlight. And a magnifying glass. Cel phone for camera. Notebook and pencil.

Last edited:
Well, I got all my basic gunsmithing tools and I'm ready to take apart my new 44 cal Pietta 1851 Navy to learn what makes it tick. I still plan to send it to a real gunsmith to smooth out the terrible action and make a few other adjustments I want. I know my way around non black powder handguns, but the work this one needs are way beyond my ability and comfort level for me to even attempt them.

Before I start taking mine apart I just wanted to check in here to see if there are any things I should avoid doing or require more than the basic gunsmithing tools I purchased. Thanks in advance for any assistance! David
There are some good videos on U-tube on taking them apart and back together, I would watch one and learn first.

If you are serious about taking things(especially things new to you) apart and putting them back together you wont be putting everything in just one or 2 containers - magnetic or not.

Get multiple small containers and use a discrete container for "shells" and or distinct parts of the larger item. If your into the magnet thing then put a magnet in each container.

Another handy tip for disassembly is to draw a crude outline of the gun on card board with holes punched in it where each screw came out of. It may take more then one view but the six trigger guard screws has two different sizes and the hand/bolt spring is the shortest. This is much easier than sorting threw a pan full of screws for a beginner. Soon you’ll just know where everything goes and do the work in the dark! But not the first one.

The first complex mechanical device I ever took apart was a Japanese Minolta-16 II camera. I cleaned lots of dust and other crud out of it, lubed a few things with CLP and put the camera back together. In the end I had one part left over. Didn't seem to matter and 45 years later, the camera still works... when and if I can find film for it.

My suggestion is to put a video camera on a tripod and train it on your work area. If you can't figure something out, you can usually look at the video and figure it out. Also, don't work on a flimsy TV table! Years ago I took a Colt Model M17 revolver apart. Thumped the table by mistake and parts flew everywhere. Took me hours just to find all the little screws and other parts. A strong magnet was very helpful.

Another time a Sergeant Major who shall remain nameless kicked the table I and other soldiers were working on because one private was "sleeping". Again, parts flew everywhere. I grabbed a rifle barrel and started after the offending NCO, but got my feet tangled in the chair legs and stumbled long enough for me to get hold of my temper. Probably just as well.

Another handy tip for disassembly is to draw a crude outline of the gun on card board with holes punched in it where each screw came out of. It may take more then one view but the six trigger guard screws has two different sizes and the hand/bolt spring is the shortest. This is much easier than sorting threw a pan full of screws for a beginner. Soon you’ll just know where everything goes and do the work in the dark! But not the first one.
That's way better and easier than the way I usually do it (draw a picture and number the screws then put them on/in paper or containers with corresponding numbers)
Yeah, a cheap little magnetic bowl from Harbor Freight - very convenient
Thanks, just ordered my my mat and a set of four different size weighted bowls for $9.99.

Two items I have found helpful:
A gun cleaning mat. It protects my table top and the gun. Also, small parts don't bounce or roll around on it.
A magnetic bowl for small parts. It has a weighted bottom which keeps it stable and tip free.
Thanks! Just ordered both, got four different size weighted bowls for $9.99 and a mat for $14.99. All the stuff I bought so far is going to make a lot of different tasks I undertake easier.

If you've never taken one apart then take pictures of the process so you'll know where the parts go. Use hollow ground screwdrivers so you donmake a mess of the screw heads. Have fun.

All good suggestions. I learned to always place a large bath towel on my lap when I am disassembling any firearm.

You would be amazed what path a dropped part can take once it hits the floor. I've had parts not hit the floor and end up in my shoe and I must admit there have been parts that went into another dimension...I know they did because they seemed to no longer exist in this one!

All good suggestions. I learned to always place a large bath towel on my lap when I am disassembling any firearm.

You would be amazed what path a dropped part can take once it hits the floor. I've had parts not hit the floor and end up in my shoe and I must admit there have been parts that went into another dimension...I know they did because they seemed to no longer exist in this one!
You’re right about loosing dropped parts. I dropped a nose cap almost 2 years ago and still can’t find the darn thing, and that’s not a small part!

Back