• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my tools, ready to disassemble, any words of warning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I use the back of a magnetic sign to work over. It is better to have a "where did that come from" moment than a "where did that go" moment.
Experience here talking. Shag rugs and dust bunnies eat small parts.
Have a bunch of small boxes and put parts in them in the order of disassembly. keep parts and screws with the part. Be careful and take pictures as you go to see how things go back together
Go to the web site of Duelist 1954 he has videos showing how to do all this.
It is not a complex mechanism it is 1847 technology. Good luck
Respectfully
Bunk.
The first small crew I dropped on a dark carpet literally took me twenty minutes to find. I've put disassembly on hold until I set up my work bench., with my mat, magnetic containers, etc.

Be realistic about your wants and needs. There is a difference between field stripping and disassembly. As a child I took a clock apart. Far as I know, that clock is still in pieces. I will field strip a firearm for cleaning/maintenance. But I am not tearing it down to individual pieces. The exceptions being an unmentionable bolt assembly or magazine. Certainly, I will not take a revolver down to component parts. I am 75 with age related eye disease and 5 thumbs per hand. I would wind up taking the revolver parts in a bucket to a gun smith.

Take lots of photos as you dissamble. Lay an old white bed sheet on the floor and/or over the bench. Good lighting and go real slow.

Be realistic about your wants and needs. There is a difference between field stripping and disassembly. As a child I took a clock apart. Far as I know, that clock is still in pieces. I will field strip a firearm for cleaning/maintenance. But I am not tearing it down to individual pieces. The exceptions being an unmentionable bolt assembly or magazine. Certainly, I will not take a revolver down to component parts. I am 75 with age related eye disease and 5 thumbs per hand. I would wind up taking the revolver parts in a bucket to a gun smith.

I've always had a strange fascination with the way mechanical things work, I've always only worn mechanical watches, and ever since I was a kid I've been taking things apart and putting them back together

I also have a magnet on an extension tubular rod. When I drop parts on the floor it is so much easier retrieving them with that rod instead of bending over or crawling around on my hands and knees. I am 70 years old and I need every little edge I can manage.

I used to manage a large camera store in Colorado with an in-house camera repair department. The technicians used the bottoms of egg cartons and placed the parts in the individual partitions as things came apart. It made reassembly in reverse order much easier.
Best advice

9CC58459-54B1-470C-BDCA-1A134B95A549.jpeg

Last edited:
It's interesting that you mentioned that. After reading up on basic gunsmithing tools, the largest expense I made was for a set of screwdrivers specifically designed for gunsmiths. When they arrived I took out a few screws and quickly discovered there was pretty much no way I could have done it with standard screwdrivers without risking messing up the screw heads, so thanks for the advice! David
More guns have been buggered up by a ham fisted guy with a set of craftsman screwdrivers. I know, I've buggered up my share. The best money I ever spent is my Brownell gunsmithing screwdriver set. BTW, if you break one they'll be happy to replace it.

The other thing I strongly recommend is those cheap pans with magnetic bottoms on them. Place all parts in them, they don't tend to wander as much.

Like I said with the Colt Paterson excepted it is 1847 technology. Very straight forward.The only trick is getting the hand and bolt in position.
Profane language spmetimes helps.
Remingtons? I don't know nothin' about Remington revolvers.
I am a Texan and this is Colt country. Remember Engaged May 16 1843.
Respectfully
bunk

Important! When you remove the grip loosen each of the 3 screws only 1/4 to 1/2 turn going from one to the other until they are turning free. Do the same thing on assembly so everything goes together evenly without stressing out any one screw. And with all of the screws take your time and care so you don't cross thread any of them. If anything has to be forced....STOP.....something is wrong! Don't over tighten. Just past snug is fine.

Important! When you remove the grip loosen each of the 3 screws only 1/4 to 1/2 turn going from one to the other until they are turning free. Do the same thing on assembly so everything goes together evenly without stressing out any one screw. And with all of the screws take your time and care so you don't cross thread any of them. If anything has to be forced....STOP.....something is wrong! Don't over tighten. Just past snug is fine.
That is important with Italian steel.

YouTube is your best friend. There are tons of disassembly/reassembly and maintenance videos by fine folks like Duelist54, Justin at Guns of the West, Blackie Thomas and others. The very first time I tore down down a BP pistol was s 51 Navy Pietta using Guns of the West video. I had NEVER taken apart a BP gun and now it’s just plain and simple to do. Duelist 54 has a fine video on smoothening the action using basic tools. I followed Mike’s simple directions producing a smoother operating action, simple and easy.

Using a magnetic sign for the pieces would aid in keeping the parts in order. In a previous life we always laid parts out left to right when stripping a weapon. Strikes me that if you have similar but not exactly same size screws it would save searching for the right one at each step.
Between that and either pictures or notes at each step, it'd make reassembly easier.

Back