• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got the CVA .58 today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, the CVA mountain rifle in .58 caliber arrived today and I looked it over pretty well. This gun was definitly a kit rifle. There is absolutely no sign that it has ever been fired. All the parts were put together but no modifications at all have been made to the gun parts or stock except the wood has a coat of stain on it.
The barrel does not say "Made in USA" but there are no proof marks on it anywhere, leading me to believe that it was made in the USA. I will EMail CVA with the serial # in hopes that they can tell me the date of manufacture. I ran a rate of twist test on the barrel and came up with around 1-70" so it is a keeper. I will spend some time now in the evenings and on weekends putting the finishing touches on her. The trigger and lock definitly need some honing and tuning and all that metal will need to be browned. I will cone the barrel, as I prefer my barrels coned and I bought the .58 tool from Joe Wood last year. I will keep you all posted on the progress. The only things I can see that I don't like that well is that the lock is awfully small and I wish the stock had more drop but this is going to be my "back up" rifle anyway.
Idaho PRB

One heck of a back up rifle. A couple of friends of mine have CVA percussion rifles. The locks appear a little on the small side, but they always functioned well. Better be careful, just might become your favorite rifle :rotf: .

Here's the photos of the gun as it is now.
Idaho PRB
Conn581.jpg

Conn582-1.jpg

Conn583.jpg

Conn584.jpg

Hi Ron,

nice peace. Looks very similar to the Ardesa/Traditions Mountain rifle.

Regards

Kirrmeister

nice looking gun where did you buy it? i went on the cva website numerous times and never find tradional muzzleloaders

Idaho PRB said:
Well, the CVA mountain rifle in .58 caliber arrived today and I looked it over pretty well. This gun was definitly a kit rifle. There is absolutely no sign that it has ever been fired. All the parts were put together but no modifications at all have been made to the gun parts or stock except the wood has a coat of stain on it.
The barrel does not say "Made in USA" but there are no proof marks on it anywhere, leading me to believe that it was made in the USA. I will EMail CVA with the serial # in hopes that they can tell me the date of manufacture. I ran a rate of twist test on the barrel and came up with around 1-70" so it is a keeper. I will spend some time now in the evenings and on weekends putting the finishing touches on her. The trigger and lock definitly need some honing and tuning and all that metal will need to be browned. I will cone the barrel, as I prefer my barrels coned and I bought the .58 tool from Joe Wood last year. I will keep you all posted on the progress. The only things I can see that I don't like that well is that the lock is awfully small and I wish the stock had more drop but this is going to be my "back up" rifle anyway.
Idaho PRB

i think you will find that the lock is a Maslin lock if it is then l&r locks make a replacement that should fit track of the wolf have them heres the page,that is good looking wood in that stock.
bernie :thumbsup: http://trackofthewolf.com/(S(eirae...14&subId=147&styleId=802&partNum=LOCK-LR-01-C

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Hawken said:
nice looking gun where did you buy it? i went on the cva website numerous times and never find tradional muzzleloaders

I bought the gun from an online auction. I checked out CVA's website myself and was suprised to find that there were no traditional ML's shown either! This gun is no longer produced as far as I know, it was an old gun when I bought it, not new.
Idaho PRB

Kirrmeister said:
Hi Ron,

nice peace. Looks very similar to the Ardesa/Traditions Mountain rifle.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I'm the "Other" Idaho. You can call me "Not Ron" :rotf:
Idaho PRB

Idaho PRB said:
Mr Hawken said:

I bought the gun from an online auction. I checked out CVA's website myself and was suprised to find that there were no traditional ML's shown either! This gun is no longer produced as far as I know, it was an old gun when I bought it, not new.
Idaho PRB

CVA quit making sidelocks a few years ago. A shame, and quite ironic that their symbol is a flintlock...

Sorry Sir! Now I mentioned it ! :surrender:

So I'll call you PRB! :rotf:

Regards

Kirrmeister :hatsoff:

Kirrmeister said:
Sorry Sir! Now I mentioned it ! :surrender:

So I'll call you PRB! :rotf:

Regards

Kirrmeister :hatsoff:

No harm done, I was just joking around :wink:
Idaho PRB

The rifle was called the "The Big Bore Mountain Rifle" and it was avail. in kit form in the 70's. It was regarded as a Plains style rifle back then, not a Hawken, tho some like to refer to them as Hawkens. The barrel is made in USA & most of them are Sharon barrels. The lock is made in Spain, but I wouldn't swap it out as the lock will last longer than you will. (it is a percussion, so all it has to do is snap a cap).

I built one back in the mid70's, bought it for $ 119. from a place called Bowhunters Warehouse in PA. And they definately are tackdrivers. It is undoubtedly the ugliest rifle I ever built, but extremely reliable & a real shooter, and whenever I get discouraged on a rifle I am building I get it out & look at it & see where I was then & where I am now in building.... Oh, and the stock is Beech, the nosecap is some kind of aluminum alloy potmetal, so don't try to brown it or anything, as mine has stayed that color for 30+ years. Before you shoot it, remove the cleanout screw & take a pipe cleaner & insure you have all of the oil out of the drum & then reinstall it with a lil Neverseize on it & just snug the screw lightly in. (NOT tight !) It won't come out. Point the muzzle to the ground & pop off a few caps & you can tell by the sound if it is open, as it will have a hollow tube sound when it goes off & it will move a leaf & you are good to go. I use a Uncle Mikes ? Hot Shot ? nipple on mine & it has been most reliable.

You can expect it to shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards with not much trouble. I got mine out a few years ago as I was going to take it to the hunting camp as a backup as I had several other guys coming to deer hunt with me & wanted to insure everyone could hunt & not have a firearm failure & one not get to hunt. It was the first time in 17 years the rifle had been out of the gun safe & shot. First group was 1 hole at 25 yards, this is the second test group at 50 yards. I adgusted the sight up & to the right just a smiggen, shot one more target & it hit dead center at 50 yards, & off we went.
After getting to the camp I couldn't resist taking it at least one day, and doing so I shot a nice large doe with it, dropping her in her tracks at 65 yards. 65 to 75 grains of FF is all she needs to have a devastating effect on a deer. I shoot a Hornady .570 round ball, 65 grains of Goex 2F, Oxjoke .015 patch & my BD6 patch grease in it, and I push the load Tight.(but I don't pound it) I tried the .575 ball one time & didn't get them to group as well as the .570 so I just went back to the .570.

58calGroup50ydNov02.jpg

I also tried Minnie Balls in it one time. It was the only time I ever ran a RR thru the palm of my hand, thus educating me on the seriousness of having a good straight grained ramrod & it also cured me of the lure of a minnie ball. !! :rotf: I have never shot a minnie ball since ! :surrender:

Birddog6 ,
Thank you for all that information! I really appreciate you taking the time to share that.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Idaho PRB

Latest posts

Back