• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Lyman Great Plains rifle kit. Midway USA has them on sale right now. How difficult are the kits to finish off. Does the lock require a lot of fitting? Also, what is the size of the barrel - 15/16" across the flats? Are the .50 cal and the .54 cal the same width. Any advice and info would be a big help.
Thanks
Bob

I have not built a GPR kit so maybe someone else can help you there. But my 2 bits worth is that the GPR is a very accurate rifle and you will love it. The barrels are all the same diameter so I would suggest going with the .54 because it will be lighter and balance better. You will also like the larger ball size. You will love that rifle!

I built a GPR about two years ago this Christmas. It was fairly easy, most of the fitting was already done. I don't know about the 50 & 54 being the same size. I have the 54 and love it. Mine developed a crack in the stock (was a flaw in the grain) just beside the end of the barrel opposite side from the lock and I sent it to Dixon's and Mr. Dixon himself looked at it and put a new stock on it. Great man......also sent a few suggestions about a good load. Anyways the kit was east to do, if you are familiar with hand tools, you can do it, just measure twice and cut once so to speak. Take your time and do a good job, don't get in a hurry that is when you make mistakes and if you remove too much wood it can't be put back on.....definately love it and would do it again, but don't need to, it is more accurate than I have ever been or will be..............

MidSouth Shooters Supply has that kit for about $350 - Searched Midway's website briefly and found no GPR's listed, must be a flyer offering. How much do they have it priced at?

I have not put a GPR kit together, but have done a Cabela's Traditional Hawken kit, also produced by Investarms - the same company that makes the Lymans. It was very easy and required little but the most minor fitting and inletting. Most of the work involved is filing/finishing the furniture (triggerguard, buttplate & etc), sanding/shaping the stock and finishing the barrel. The GPR kits I have seen don't appear to be any more involved.

The barrels on both the .50 and the .54 are 15/16". Both calibers are roundball barrels and are very accurate, assuming you do your work and develop a load for it (yes, I have one of each). All else being equal, I would get the .54. My .54 is my "go to" rifle and is a pleasure to shoot and carry in the woods.

Otter...yes I received a flyer from Midway and the price is $329.99 for caplock and $359.99 for flintlock. I built Thompson Center kits years ago and they were vey easy. I'm leaning toward the .54 cal as I already have .50 cal guns, and yes I will use it for deer hunting.

Bob

I've got both, a 54 that was store bought and a 50 that I built from a kit. They're the same size, 15/16" barrel and 32". The kit is basically as easy as the TC. The lock and trigger group are fully assembled and you won't have to touch them unless you want to refinish. The only real metal work you have to do is polishing the other parts including the barrel for finishing.

With the outside dimensions the same, one thing you'll notice between the two calibers is that the 50 is heavier, and the assembled rifle feels more muzzleheavy in 50 caliber. Since I liked the balance of the 54 better, I went to whittling. Fortunately, there's extra wood on the kit stock and you can thin and trim as you want. I was able to rebalance the 50 to match my 54, and along the way produce a more trim, eye-appealing stock.

Probably the only real caution is the tiny screws holding the escuchions. They're pretty frail. Lotsa guys replace them with the next size larger, rather than take a chance on snapping them off. I cleaned up the holes in the wood, then soaped mine and eased them in, backing off a turn any time I ran into resistance. They went in fine.

There's a mountain of past threads about building and finishing the GPR kit here on the site. If for no other reason than having so much advice and so many examples of finishes to draw upon in the archives, the GPR kit may be the best of all for you to build till you get a little more experience.

A dremmel and a orbiter sander made fast work of my kit Lyman. Just don't rush it.
I used Dark walnut stain and lots or true oil on mine. Don't forget to put as much work into the ramrod or it will have a different color. (Personal Experience)

Back