• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Trigger Upgrade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomer56

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry to reproduce what I suspect is an earlier topic, but I'm sure I've seen a post about aftermarket triggers to drop into a Lyman GPR that grant significant improvements over the stock issue. Are they really an improvement? Do they still allow you to fire the rifle with only the first trigger? If so, who is selling them? Anyone actually installed one of these triggers, and pleased with the difference?

Thanks!

Davis makes one.
HERE
I installed one on my GPR last year. It took about 15 min. to install and required very minor fitting.{Slight shave job }
Although I thought the Lyman triggers were good.,The davis triggers were a great improvement. $40 bucks well spent, IMHO.

BTW, the ad says it's the one for T/C guns. That'll fit the GPR too.

I've not put one in a lyman, yet, but I'll attest they are a fine upgrade for TC triggers too.

Install take about 15 min, unless you seal the stock where you've pared a bit of wood out.

I went to Ace Hardware and bought a longer set trigger adjustment screw;2.5 mm. It had to be cut and filed down to proper length and blued. But with a longer set trigger screw, the set triggers on my GPR are now light and crisp and as good of a trigger as possible. I suggest trying this first because a new screw costs about 50 cents.

That's a good solution for the set trigger on the GPR, and I've done it myself. But that still leaves you a mostly rotten trigger if you shoot without using the set trigger first.

The Davis not only gives you a better set trigger, it's vastly superior to the Lyman when you aren't using the set. It's so good in fact, that I find myself seldom even bothering with the set trigger. That's a real bonus when shooting fast and close, like we often have to do in our brush. Last deer I shot, I jumped at inside 10 feet and shot it before it made 20 yards. No chance, not even a little one, for using the set trigger to get that deer.

My son and I installed the Davis GPR (TC) double set triggers in both our GPRs and have great success. Installation was about 15 minutes including taking off a very small amount of wood. They actually fit much better than the stock unit. Very easy to adjust with no creep.
Rangertrace

Are they really an improvement?

The Davis Deerslayer triggers are definitely an improvement over the factory GPR triggers. I got mine directly from R.E. Davis (Bucktales gave you the link above) but I believe TOTW has them also.

As indicated, you can fire both from set or unset conditions. You will likely need to do a little bit of fitting, but not much.

Here they are on my GPR (I also added an RPL replacement lock):

IMG_2619.jpg

So these triggers are for the TC Hawken also. Question, does this TC Replacment attach at the front with the tang bolt (new version) or just held in place by the trigger guard?

So these triggers are for the TC Hawken also. Question, does this TC Replacment attach at the front with the tang bolt (new version) or just held in place by the trigger guard?

They are generally advertised as replacement triggers for TC rifles, I believe. Given the number of folks who have successfully used them on GPRs, I think its safe to say they work on GPRs also with some minor fitting.

As installed on my GPR, the tang bolt does not go through the trigger plate. The trigger plate is held in place in the inlet via a wood screw at the aft end of the plate and by the trigger guard. It seems secure enough.

I don't know whether the tang bolt would secure them on a TC, as I have never tried it.

Back