• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grandfather's TC Hawken hunt or keep nice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry or the crude drawing, this is what the sites look like...so there is no filing possible

rj morrison said:
get rid of that dang adjustable site. git a fixed primitive one and file er in.

I think that's what I am going to do.

...I guess I could file the front site.

There's filing possible. You can cut that groove all the way to the bottom, widen if necessary, and take the top edge down either flat or V like it is.
On one of my rifles I had to file the groove completely gone, cut a new groove, file that one gone, and cut another new groove before I got it to hit POA. Not much left but base. The front blade was soldered on rather than dovetailed in so couldn't be changed real easy (by me).

The fixed replacement sight would look better tho. And could get you in some matches where adjustable sights are not allowed.

Here is what I am talking about.

Not a lot of room to file, maybe just enough. However, the screw head pictured here sticks up blocking the view of the bottom of the rear sight notch.

My other option is to file the top of the front sight

...and this is me ice fishing...

:surrender: You're right. Not a lot there to file.

You oughta resize the fish you catch. :haha:

Jethro224 said:
:surrender: You're right. Not a lot there to file.

You oughta resize the fish you catch. :haha:

Anyone can catch a big fish, it takes skill to catch one that small!

...I think I am going with new sights after this season.

I have 2 T/C "Hawken" rifles and a total of 4 barrels. I have found the first, best modification to make is to REPLACE the front sight.
For target shooting I use a "Patridge" type front on my roundball target bbl. for offhand shooting.
For my flintlock roundball bbl, which is pretty much dedicated to bench shooting I'm using a globe front with various inserts.
For my hunting bbl. , which is the original 1:48 twist factory bbl...I have installed a "Firesight" to be able to see the sights better in the low light conditions I'm generally hunting in.
In NO CASE have I retained the T/C front, which has to be one of the poorest designs I have ever known.
ENJOY that rifle...!!

My sights were like that .I installed a tall extra thin brass front blade.It shines nicely in the woods and allows a more precice shot placement as it wont cover the target up.

My T/C kit had sights like that. I lined the sights up as if I were aligning circles so that the round tip of the front sight was centered in the U notch of the rear sight. Since then I have replaced the original sights with peep sights for both front and rear and I am still aligning circles.

Nit Wit said:
Sepa:
No one has asked, so what powder charge are you using with the round ball? :hmm:
Nit Wit
Only shot it once, used 65grns ffg. Shot pretty well, I think it would be even better but had a really hard time getting a good sight picture. I actually had to aim to the left of the target on blank target backing to get sight alignment, then moved it over to the target.

BrownBear said:
As for no sex parts on rifles, there are none on boats either. But there are sure a lot of female boats, including our own. :rotf:
Unless you're in the Russian Navy, where all boats are "he"! :wink: :haha:

Don Steele said:
I have 2 T/C "Hawken" rifles and a total of 4 barrels. I have found the first, best modification to make is to REPLACE the front sight.
For my hunting bbl. , which is the original 1:48 twist factory bbl...I have installed a "Firesight" to be able to see the sights better in the low light conditions I'm generally hunting in.
In NO CASE have I retained the T/C front, which has to be one of the poorest designs I have ever known.
ENJOY that rifle...!!

Thanks for the reply!. Are those the Williams Firesight sights? This is a hunting rifle and I plan on using it as such.

I have a couple of those TC rifles, a .45 & a .50, both purchased the first year PA had a primitive season, about 1976. Nice guns, with some problems. Factory sights are crude, lock geometry is only so-so and you will curse the frizzen before you are through. Frizzens are really soft and will eat flints. Back in the day, I used to send two back to TC every year for replacement under warranty. I finally sent the lock back for an upgrade and had the frizzens heat treated. I now use a front sight with a small ivory bead.

SEPAflint said:
Nit Wit said:
Sepa:
No one has asked, so what powder charge are you using with the round ball? :hmm:
Nit Wit
Only shot it once, used 65grns ffg. Shot pretty well, I think it would be even better but had a really hard time getting a good sight picture. I actually had to aim to the left of the target on blank target backing to get sight alignment, then moved it over to the target.

should clarify, I only shot it in one outing. About 20-25 shots. I didn't really experiment with different powder charges. I didn't want to get frustrated with the sights so I just kept most shots to 50 yds with four out to 100

And thank you all for your help, regardless I sure I will be very happy with this gun. I will definitely be getting new sights soon and am looking forward to many seasons shooting it(not her) :wink:

Latest posts

Back