• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grandfather's TC Hawken hunt or keep nice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several options, Williams Firesight is a good one. I believe the one I put on my "Hog Rifle" is a T/C product.

I found the 1:48 bbl really likes the Hornady "Great Plains" 385 gn conical. I sighted those in over 90 gns of 3f Goex. It's a stout load for sure. Sight it an inch or so high at 50 yds, there's not a lot of drop out to 100, which is my MAXIMUM shooting distance. Bad eyes, coarse sights..A man's gotta know his limitations.
I killed a nice hog with that rifle and combination in October. Shooting from a tree stand as he walked toward me, head down, he was about 20 yds away when I touched her off ...the Hornady bullet went through the Atlas joint ( the spot where the skull meets the spine) and penetrated diagonally through the body, clipping the Aorta at the top of the heart, and lodging in the distal(back) end of the brisket. The recovered bullet mushroomed perfectly, and retained over 90% of it's initial wt.
Good luck with that rifle...!!

Do both. Just take care of it. Clean it after hunting. find out how to clean it and what to use and how to store it. a closet queen is just that a queen. hand it down to your son. there can be no better history for a family firearm. treat er good and do not abuse it and never never ever loan it to anyone.

Latest posts

Back