• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grandfather's TC Hawken hunt or keep nice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoot it, keep it forever and pass it on to your kids or family. The value of a family gun like that lies in the stories it generates. It's story hanging on a wall will be quite boring. The stories it could tell of hunts and club shoots is invaluable.
My first muzzleloader was a TC Hawken kit I built. I had never even held a muzzleloader in my hand when I built it. I see 1000 flaws in the build but will never sell it or give it away.
i hope my daughter keeps it and shoots it all the time long after I am gone.
Cheers,
Chowmi

Stop using that gun that loses powder!!!

This is a dangerous situation and until corrected that gun should be kept in storage...Powder can leak behind the lock and sooner or later, you have a hole in the side of the stock and the lock goes flying through the area...

Some things are worth more than money and hunting with your grandfathers gun is one of them. When you take game with it you can be sure that he would be so happy that you did.
When the time comes you must pass it on so the legacy continues.
I have some of my grandfathers and my grandmothers rifle I hunt with. Some of his others have been handed down.
Nit Wit

Hunt with it.
Guns are meant to be used like any other tool.
Don't abuse it, but a scratch here a ding there becomes artistic and history.
History of the hunt you were on when it happened.
Mines 35+yr old. Still shoots as accurate as when new. But it's got history.
I still see the steep slope I had to scramble up on all fours, when it got that particular scratch and I had to go back down and retrieve it and start back up again.
Or the one where mamma bear was chasing me and I wasn't even hunting bear!
And a few others!

Guns are like hammers in a tool box. Use it. I have a few guns and other hunting items of my dad's and they are my favorite possessions. Take care of it and enjoy the time you spend with it. You will understand when you start using it.

A gun isn't a gun if you don't ever shoot it. Hunt with yours but shoot your grandfathers while taking extra care of it to insure it can be passed down to generations. I think your grandfather would want you to shoot it.

Are you planning on selling that rifle someday? I'd guess not so resale value is not a consideration.

In Faulkner's Bear, the kid is hunting with a family rifle so old and used that only the trigger guard is original to the firearm and every other part has worn out & been replaced.

Take it afield, use it hard and enjoy it.

Just shot her for the first time. pretty good with it. I Do have a couple questions. First, What is he sight alignment with this gun? The reason I ask is I am aiming so that the front post "ball" is in the round groove of the rear sight. However, at 50 yds I cannot drop the elevation enough. It doesn't bottom out, however, the little ball that is inside of rear sight that makes the elevation screw 'click' is making the screw head stick up and it is in the way as I aim. I took it out but now the rear sight sits higher and when bottomed out still sits too high!

Is my sight alignment wrong?

I also find I hard to get a good sight picture with these sights

If your rear sight is bottomed out and you're still hitting too high you'll need to replace the front sight with a higher one. There's a formula for the amount of correction needed, I'll have to dig it up, will post it as soon as I can find it!

OK, here ya' go:

Amount of Error X Sight Radius divided by Distance to Target = Sight Correction Needed

Remember to convert ALL your units to INCHES!

Just shot her for the first time. pretty good with it. I Do have a couple questions. First, What is he sight alignment with this gun? The reason I ask is I am aiming so that the front post "ball" is in the round groove of the rear sight. However, at 50 yds I cannot drop the elevation enough. It doesn't bottom out, however, the little ball that is inside of rear sight that makes the elevation screw 'click' is making the screw head stick up and it is in the way as I aim. I took it out but now the rear sight sits higher and when bottomed out still sits too high!

Is my sight alignment wrong?

I also find I hard to get a good sight picture with these sights.

Rifles do not come equipped with sex parts, no she or he, thus no gender.

Call T/C and they will send you a manual, you need one. You need to do a search for sighting in a rifle.

Richard Eames said:

Call T/C and they will send you a manual, you need one. You need to do a search for sighting in a rifle.

No need to go through the frustration of contacting TC when you can get the manual right here at the Muzzleloading Forum.

As for no sex parts on rifles, there are none on boats either. But there are sure a lot of female boats, including our own. :rotf:

Other than replacing your front sight with a taller one, you could also file the rear sight lower. Since you don't like the sight picture anyway, change it to your liking. All it takes is a little time and some careful file work.

Richard Eames said:

What happened to the spelling and math comment? Could have sworn I saw one when viewing this on my phone, hmmm.

I did a search and came up with nothing.

I removed that part of the comment because it was unnecessary and did not contribute to the discussion.

If we can't all play nice topics get locked or deleted. Sometimes members do too...

Let it go.

Back