• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GrassFire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was shooting this evening, trying to use less grease on the patches to see what it did for accuracy. Sun set, wanted to go pickup patches before it was too dark to see. I was smelling grass burning and turned around and discovered one of my pillow tick patches had been shot too dry, burned through and started the gunrange grass on fire. Cought it before it was bigger than a foot or two in diameter, but what if.......

So....apparently its possible to burn up the woods with a dry patch. Have to check for fires after discharging ol smokey in dry lands.

>>>----->Apache<-----<<<

That is the second time I have ever heard of that happening.Read of the other in an editorial in Blackpowder Hunting.The fellow writing in was from Texas aswell.Pretty scary stuff.I suppose the lube performs another function aswell.Jack

I Wonder if any big fires were started like that.Thats how I met the guy that got me into ML's.His smoldering patch landed on the bench I was shooting at.

Never use a bale of hay as a gun rest while out shooting your flintlocks, the vent blast set it on fire right now...

I was concerned about the patches and never gave a thought about what was too my right...

Good thing I had to pee... :crackup:

Yeah, it's a problem during the summer around here. Our muzzleloader range has two 55 gallon drums full of water, one drum at each end of the line. The rain gutters from the roof keep 'em full.

Years ago, I started using dry patches and others began using the same method shortly after. We often had patches cause a smouldering mess which we would stamp out. We also kept a hose at the range just in case of some sort of fire problem. Can't hurt.

CS

Yeah, it's a problem during the summer around here. Our muzzleloader range has two 55 gallon drums full of water, one drum at each end of the line. The rain gutters from the roof keep 'em full.

Do you treat it? Sounds like a great mosquito breeding area, West Nile virus is not a nice thing.

Do you treat it? Sounds like a great mosquito breeding area, West Nile virus is not a nice thing.

Not that I know of. Then again, there's so much water on and around the property ( a really nice duck marsh) doubt if treating a couple of rain barrels will make much difference.

[quote
Do you treat it? Sounds like a great mosquito breeding area, West Nile virus is not a nice thing. [/quote]

Treating it would not be a problem at my range. There would probably someone who would think those drums would make great targets :(

At my range, I use a water hose to liberally soak the area in front of and around my shooting bench out to about 20-25 yards or so.

I also try very hard to find and collect every patch I've fired.

Can't afford a fire. Not now, not ever.

When hunting, I also make a solid effort to recover my patches.

:m2c:

At my range, I use a water hose to liberally soak the area in front of and around my shooting bench out to about 20-25 yards or so.

Thats a good I dea, I can carry a hose out and do this...Thanks.

Back