• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grease hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a lube made by a late friend. It is more of a solid consistency and won't run. You just wipe the patch over it.

To each his own of course. I been a studying some southern mountain rifles from this area of East Tennessee, southeast Kentucky and western North Carolina and noticed several guns had grease holes in their stocks. So thinks I, if them old fellers did it, so can I.

I ain’t worried about the ‘grease’ running out for a couple reasons. First, it’s more of a waxy paste made of a secret formula that I ain’t revealing. Also, my hunting and most of my target shooting is done in cooler weather.

Ain’t worried about a little dirt either cause I won’t be low crawling with my rifle like I did for Uncle Sam. But, if a stray squirrel hair or grain of sand happened to get in the mix, it won’t hurt anything. I’m igniting a charge of black powder in the bore, not operating in a sterile lab.

Anywho, as soon as it cools off and I get the time, gonna see how it works.

Life is good.

Years ago - a lot of years ago - I had a CVA "Kentucky" .45 caliber, two-piece stock, you all know the one I mean. Percussion, shot pretty good. Because it was a plain rifle and my skills to add anything were and are limited, I added a grease hole to the stock. I used a beeswax based lube to fill it and for protection I simply covered it with a patch when hunting or at the range. Seemed so obvious to me. Worked pretty well too.

Latest posts

Back