• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great luck with AP Powder & Butch's BP Bore Shine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Participated in my 1st rendezvous today and had a "blast" , pun intended. Due to the cold, I used American Pioneer Powder in 3F granulation in my Mowrey 50cal percussion. At last year's event, it was so cold that only the smoothbore guys completed all targets, as those with rifling and tight patching had problems loading and/or swabbing between shots, as the buildup from real blackpowder was so bad.

I fired over 30 shots for the day and look at the patches in the picture. The one on the LEFT below was all the build up after those 30+ shots! I never swabbed or wiped the barrel at all. That American Pioneer Powder does not build up one bit. I get great accuracy too and it will put all PRBs through the same hole @ 25 yards. I came in 1st in the "over the chunk" contest and tied for the shooting score in the woods walk, but struck out in the knife/hawk throwing events and the fire starting. Heck ... I've never done those and I wasn't prepared.

MZL-AAP-Patch.jpg

Lastly, I cleaned the rifle up with Butch's Blackpowder Bore Shine and that patch on the right is only the 3rd patch with Butch's on it ... remember, 30+ straight shots. Oh yeah, I use thin cotton patches "dry lubed" ala Dutch Schultz (soaked in moose milk and dried flat). Boy it sure cleans up easy with the Butch's.

I'll still use real BP once above freezing, but I too have had issues with really cold out with excessive fouling buildup that I just can't get out easy or easy enough in the competitions. I will say I was left very impressed with the shooting skills of the guns and guys using the smoothbore flint rifles ... but now I want one too! That's me in the red capote below. Tight groups!

MZL-Crew1.jpg

Sounds like ya had a great time. So, how cold was it? Anything like they are talking about up in Canada, like -30 or more below farenheit?

Mowrey50,
great group pic----
thanks for sharing
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Mowrey50
i got to try the app 3f powder today and was i pleased. it took a few shots to settle down in my .54 t/c renegade but she did and shot a 1.5 group using 70 gr. and dry patch.
i shot a total of 12 shots and never wiped or swabbed the barrel. when i got home i used total of 4 patches to get her clean. first two with plain warm water and followed by two dry, used both sides of these and i was done. time about 12 min.
i was using cleaning patches to shoot with as my .018 pillow tacking was too thick whin unlubed. i am going to pick up some .015 at wal-mart next to try.
i can not thankyou enough for the heds up.
good luck with your shooting and pray for spring!! :redthumb:

Hey Mowrey,

Saw you guys at vt. biathlon, i was the big guy in green capote scoring the last station, also talked to you on the net. Tell me how do you send photos to this site? I have some good photos to share. Big John :huh:

Hey Mowrey,
Saw you guys at vt. biathlon, I was the big guy in green capote scoring the last station, also talked to you on the net. Tell me how do you send photos to this site? I have some good photos to share. Big John :huh:
Hey Big John!

I just watched the short video I made of the event ... and there you were ... scoring the last station! I plan on making a short 15 minute video of the event with headers and intros and the like.

Regarding posting photos, you first need a place to "host" the photo up on a server that is "On" 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Then you simply take the URL of each photo and insert into the post with
after the URL address .. but with NO spaces!

I use comcast and can place probably a good hundred or more on the server space I get with my email account. I resize them to 480x640, which makes them only about 40k each and they display nice on PC screens. I use a free download for Windows XP users that resizes the pictures without losing detail.

Email me a few samples to that addy I emailed you at and I'll post them for you. Deal? Will also see you at Manchester, VT biathlon, but I'll be driving up on SAT, running the event, and will then be driving home. I'd like to stay overnight at that or Dalton, NH event ... so if you have preferences, let me know.

Back