• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great morning in the squirrel woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenfoerst

32 Cal.
Reaction score
First heavy frost on Wednesday morning had the Missouri squirrels on the move. Had fried squirrel when I got back to the campsite. I think I loaded a little too heavy for the squirrels but I thought there was an excellent chance to get a shot at a turkey. Just had to let them get out a little further.
DSC_4756.jpg
1a051753-247c-4bab-8b73-9f7db326c488.jpg

Excellent outing, congratulations !!
:hatsoff:

You mentioned a possible turkey...what size shot were you using?

Memories that will last a life time.
Thanks for taking the time to share it with a bunch of guys that appreciate it.

PJC

Roundball, I have been using a 100 grain measure of #5 shot in the 20 gauge and 80 grains of Goex 3F. Seems to do an excellent job on the squirrels. Got six out of seven that I shot at up to 40 yards. I have also been experimenting with #6 shot to get a little denser pattern for turkey out of my jug choke barrel.

kenfoss said:
Roundball, I have been using a 100 grain measure of #5 shot in the 20 gauge and 80 grains of Goex 3F. Seems to do an excellent job on the squirrels. Got six out of seven that I shot at up to 40 yards. I have also been experimenting with #6 shot to get a little denser pattern for turkey out of my jug choke barrel.
Yeah, I'd say so, LOL...I use about the same...100grns #5s & 70grns Goex 3F, also jugged.

Fine squirrel hunting in the fall you can't beat it. Been going out with my 28 ga. looking for Turkey also but havn't shot any tree rats with my turkey load. How do you like the jug choke? Thinking about doing that to mine. By the way who made the gun love it being a lefty myself :grin: Pappy

Man!, that's some good shooting :applause: 6 squirrels will make a good batch of fried squirrel an gravy with a few home baked biscuits to sop up afterwards. Btw, that's a very nice smoothbore you have there, I'm a lefty also.

Pappy, the gun is from a Jim Chambers Pennsylvania Fowler kit and was built by Ed Wenger at Virginia Flintlocks. I like the jug choke and think that it gave me about an extra ten yards on turkey. With the loads that I am shooting it went from a 25 yard turkey pattern to a 35 yard pattern. It would probably kill a turkey at 40 yards a good percentage of the time but I wouldn't trust it without a little more testing. Danny Caywood did the jug choke.

I love the color on those fox squirrels. Great looking smoothbore. Danny Caywood jug choked both my smoothbores and they shoot great. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Congratulations!

:thumbsup:

Wonderful pictures of a great hunt.

Silex

Very nice shotgun and mess of squirrels. Are those Mo. Fox squirrels much tougher to chew than the greys? They are here in Virginia. Ed is turning out some very fine shooting irons. I had a chance to buy the 17th gun he made...it was a sweet little Issac Haines .32. I hesitated to think it over and somebody else jumped on it.

Not sure the Fox squirrels are any tougher than Grey. In my opinion, both are tough when they are old and require different preparation. I sort of like young fox squirrels because they are a little bigger and still tender. I generally mark them when I clean them(by putting a slice through the rib cage) to tell the old from the young when I get home. The way that I age them (if in doubt) is the way the rear legs bend before they break when they are cut off. If they are brittle and snap without bending, I mark them as old squirrels.

Latest posts

Back