• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great Plains Rifle Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12865

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a GPR .54 in a flinter. Can anyone tell me about the quality of the lock and frizzen. Has there been any problems I should be aware of. Thanks!

OK, I understand. No one here is going to admit to owning a GPR Flintlock. Everyone here must be a rock lock snob and only owns the upper crust guns made for Royality. Surely, there must be a peasant here. :grin: :v

You might try a search as there should be lots of information on Lyman GPR's in the archives.

I have an Investarm .50 rifle which is just about the same thing as a GPR and I like it fine. No one on this board has ever looked down on me for admitting that I own it.

AB

I own the GRR in 50 caliber, great rifle. I have used it for many years without a bit of problem. I like the Lymans so much, I own one of all their rifles, plus a diie gun works hawkens made by the same folks. Cant beat them IMHO.

I have a GPR .54 percussion. Liked it so much I bought a GPR .54 flint kit. Still working on it, but seems like a good solid rifle and lock.

I have a 50 and 54 perc. and a 50 and 54 flint. 4 of them. Like them all and shoot them regularly. Am looking to buy another used one if I can find it. The flinters shoot as well as the percs. The flintlocks can be tempermental at times, but what flinter isn't?

You can spend a whole lot more for a kit from one of the online suppliers for a "plains rifle", but I have not owned one or shot one that I could do any better with then a Lyman.
Thats just my opinion. I'm sure the guys here that spend 8-900 for a rifle think diffrent, but I can buy 3 Lyman kits for 900, and to me they shoot just as well.

No... no "rock lock snobs" that I know of.

True, a lot of shooters here do spend a pretty penny for top line customs... but there are a lot of us $400-$600 guys out here too. :thumbsup: I have a fairly un-HC Traditions Hawken Woodsman in .50 flint, and haven't had anybody put me down for it.

Shoot what you can afford, and if you have a question about quality people here will answer as honestly as they can. You'll always have a bad apple here or there... but most here are quite helpful and accepting. :grin:

Might want to give the fellas more than 5 hours to reply. It's holiday time and some people don't live on this thing :hmm: :grin: (he types after logging on for the third time today). Check back in a day or so and you'll find some good replies...

Good luck, by the way, and from what I've read here the GPR is a great rifle, flint or perc.

Legion

Hi,

I have a .54 Cal Perc. GPR and a .50 Cal Perc. Trade Rifle they are both great shooters, I would guess the flint models would shoot just as good.

I Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

I have a 50 cal in a percussion and a 54 cal in a flint.Love'em both.No problems and real good accuracy.The only regret I have is I sold a 50 cal flint that was my first muzzleloader.Wish I had her back!

I have owned my GPR in flint for 13yrs and have had no problems with any part of this gun. My step son used it last year and had to have one. His new rifle was not the same workmanship as my old gun but was still very well built. I think you will be very happy with the work horse these guns have become. I hope this helps and good luck.

I have a GPR .54 flinter and I love it! I like it so much that I bought a .50 caplock too. :thumbsup: They are both very good guns for a great price. Nothin' real fancy but good, solid, accurate shooters. Kinda like the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 of the muzzleloaders. :hmm:
I did open up my touchhole with a 5/64 drill bit to get better ignition. Otherwise, no problems.

I have a Lyman GPR in .54 flint. It shots very well, handles well as a short rifle should and is easy to clean. The only problem I have ever had with it is that the original frizen was not properly hardened and I had to replace it.

John, don't be so prickly....I'm as working class as anybody. I have one royalty class flinter, the rest are 2 Lefthanded Lyman's 1 a .50 GPR...the lock and gun are good value for the money. I did lighten the trigger pull a little by taking a coil off the sear spring...it was needed to lighten the pressure which was causing the lock to fall to half cock when the trigger was pulled...that seems to be a common complaint with this lock, and guys will tell you to look for wood rubbing the action, and a bunch of stuff...all good advice, but in my case, and in one other here on the forum, that spring was the problem...Best, Hank

I bought a .54 GPR flinter far a rainy day-loaner rifle.

Big mistake- I like it as good as any other I own.

No doubt about it - The best bang for the buck in the flintlock buisness.

No doubt about it - It is nowhere near the quality
of my custom guns.

No doubt about it - It is definetly accurate, dependable and fun to shoot.

I would have to agree with the other poster -
Cut us some slack - If you don't get a reply as quick as you want -CHILL OUT- help is on the way.

Happy Holidays

God Bless

Leo

I have the GPR in .54 cal. It is a very good gun! Just drill the touch hole liner out to 1/16 in., use real black powder and you will be happy with it.
Old Charlie

john12865 said:
OK, I understand. No one here is going to admit to owning a GPR Flintlock. Everyone here must be a rock lock snob and only owns the upper crust guns made for Royality. Surely, there must be a peasant here. :grin: :v

John,

My suggestion is that next time you open you mouth, you don't open it quite so wide & possibly you will not swallow your foot, leg, body & go clear up to your neck....

You will find the guys on this board to be some of the most Helpful & Open guys you will find on any ML message board today, bar none. (IMHO)

Had you read some of the previous posts from guys on this forum with problems with Hundreds of rifles, you would not have made such a comment These guys on here will just about help you do Anything with a ML rifle, be it a elcheapo $23. ML or a $5000. gold inlaid one, makes no dif. to them, they are Always very helpful.

Your posting was done on Christmas Day, and believe it or not, some people that are normally on here, were actually celebrating Christmas Day & enjoying some time with their families & friends.

However I do appologize for not boing here at your beckoned call & I personally will look for you again next year when you show up again..... :redface:

Birddog6

The Lyman GPR that I own has a much slower lock time than I think it should have. As long as I pay close attention to flint sharpness and keeping the frizzen clean it usually functions satisfactorally. That being said, I don't take it on woods walks or matches where a long string of shots is required, these things are reserved for my " snob" rifles.
Just some sparks from my side of the fire.

Oh ya, I was just reminded of this while out hunting this afternon. My Lyman GPR does not like English flints. They strike against the pan and shater so I have got to use the agate type.

On my GPR's, I used the 3/4 x 3/4 english flint or took a standard 3/4" flint & knapped about 1/16" off the face of it, cut a notch in the jaw leather & push the flint all the way against the jaw screw. Have used them for years this way as I don't like sawn flints.

Latest posts

Back