• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

great plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lyman Greatplains is of Hawken style and FINE rifle at that. I've shot mine since the middle 80's and have had very good success with it in local,state & national matches. I have seen and heard some refer to the GPR as an entry rifle and that may well be their opnion,but not a fair one.
I got a TVM and a Track of the Wolf and I grab my GPR more when heading out to a shoot or hunting more often than not. 5 moose,2 blackbear and 2 caribou didn't care if it was a entry level rifle or a custom.Point being if you wanting to get in to blackpowder and a production rifle fits your budget better than custom GO for IT,than get ya custom later if you wish,BUT if you wish to stick to production gun during your many years in the sport. There's nothing wrong with that.

I agree, probably the best production rifle out there.
I had one in a caplock .54 and it shot like a house a fire. Regrets for selling it.

I have to disagree with you on, its the best production gun made, because I think the TC Hawken is a better gun. Don't get me wrong I have had three GPR's and I have two still and I love them both. Thompson Center just takes a bit more care when building theirs. Of coarse this will drive the HC/PC boys nuts because the TC is less so than the GPR is. With just a few little mods the GPR can be transformed into a very nice rifle. Maybe the best!

IMG_4853.jpg

Latest posts

Back