• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

green mountain barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pillow ticking? is that cotton or linen?
I use the same thickness linen with no problems at all - its pretty strong stuff :m2c:

also, mike the balls to check they arent oversize...

Just guessing here. Sounds like the pillow ticking is way too thick. I would try a thinner lube on a .015 patch - Hoppes, spit, or if you don't like the taste of the patches, dampen with water. Push a felt wad or patch down the barrel before the patch and ball to see if that helps with the cutting but there is a good chance with the lighter lube there may not be any tearing.

New guns can be cranky sometimes.

Greeting Brubincam,

Strongly suggest you forget Crisco.

Recommend the YC 103 OR O-Y Wonderlube.

Also suggest the use of a stub ball seater, followed by a 4 - 6 inch ball starter. and a good steel range rod.

Wipe the bore between each shot with a black powder solvent. If none is available, Windex will do an excellant job.

When trying to solve a problem, take the easy road and use tried and proven components to elimante possible trouble sources. Why make a job more difficult?

And last, but not least. Are you sure you are using the right size ball in the barrel? Once, due to not paying attention, tried 3 times to load a .509 into a standard 50 caliber bore. Sure was tight, but with a lot of muscle could make it go down.

YOU SHOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS KIND OF TROUBLE!

Green Mountain is a quality operation and sells good products.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

I would try
.495 rd ball
.020 dry patch
WET LUBE WET LUBE WET LUBE
Moose milk or spit etc.

60 grains ffg
If this doesn's work call GM and talk to them.
They will stand behind their barrels.
I couldn't get my .50 cal to shoot either, with this load it is right on at both 50 and 100 yds

:thanks:thanks everyone for the interest and suggestions,,,will use the information i have gained next time out,,,this is my favorite forum,,,lots of nice people and very helpful,,,will let you know after my next outing,,, :thanks:

If you have a micrometer, mic the barrel and see just what it is you have here. As was said, GM could have gotten it a little too tight or its just a bad barrel. A mic could tell. If it measures OK, then mic the RB to see what you have there. Something strange is going on here, a GM barrel should take bore size ball with .015 patch and load OK, tight, but OK.

If you don't have a mic, take it to a gunsmith if theres one around handy and have it measured and see what he recommends.

Really, a .490 ball with a .020 patch should slide down nicely in a GM barrel. :m2c: :peace:

Back