• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain drop in barrel vs Lyman great plains rifle barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm all for selling that T/C of yours. Why not. (Big bucks can be had from the right buyer since T/Cs hawken models are no longer made.)

Accuracy verses accuracy between the two rifles? It is what it is what it is.

As for the appearance differences between the two? "Go ahead and buy that Lyman. Get what you yearn for." I'm a firm believer everyone should have what they desire if possible.

Sure Shot said:
(Big bucks can be had from the right buyer since T/Cs hawken models are no longer made.)

Ummmmm......

There's a very nice one in the ads here on the site for $350. That's been kind of the going price on very good ones for quite a while now.

I have used a number of Green Mountain barrels in muzzle loader and black powder cartridge rifles and they are of very good quality,second to none in my opinion.
They are also made of 1137 steel alloy which has much better hoop stress numbers than does many big name muzzle loading barrels made of 12L14.

Like he said.
Once you put that GM bbl on a T/C...you've got a WHOLE NEW critter...one that shoots the eyes out of ANYTHING else in it's class...or most any class for that matter, once you find the best combination. Like Hadden, I've also found a tight patch/ball combo to give the best results.

you mentioned that you would sell the original rifle after you buy the other. I say go for it, and shoot the new rifle. You might find that it works great for you and you love it. Or you might decide to keep both.

The GM barrel should be a better shooter than the Lyman, no question in my mind, and I do have a GPR and green mtn barrels.

Go for it and decide what to keep after you get it.

Fleener

Get the GPR ,, shoot it ,, then make up your mind !!!!! I have a GPR in 50 cal fins shooter and it fits me ,,

Thanks for ALL of the comments. You all have given me something to think about.

Thanks to M.D. I now have a very basic understanding of the differences between 1137 and 12L14 steel used in the barrels after doing a search here on the forum.

Latest posts

Back