• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

grizz back-up gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got that right, pal. No fooling with them guys and PC considerations. Like Duco said in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly: "When you got to shoot - shoot. Don't talk....." Also, the age old guidance of saving the last round for yourself ain't a bad idea.

I'm a fan of the pepper spray...

It'll buy you enough time to empty your 12 gauge into the bear at a closer range.

Afterwards, you can spray some on the delicious bear steaks! :)

Pennsyltucky... :bow: Amen...I hunt black bear in the Nantahala National Forest, and carry a Winchester 94 in 30/30...when we do our "black powder day" I switch to a T/C in .50...but I have a Ruger Vaquero in .44 Magnum in a holster under my shooting coat...Hank

When guiding in AK I use nothing smaller than a 44mag loaded with a 300grn flat point and a max load of H110.
Or my 45-70 marlin guide gun also loaded for bear.
When you see your first 10ft bore you will relize how puny a 44 mag is.
I had to shoot a four year old off my boss. A four year old isen't very big when it comes to brown bears. I double lunged that bear with full bullet expainson clean penitration and it still diden't die for twenty min.
It hit the dirt running ( thank god away) I went back to the lodge got the 375 and my tracking cow dog and found that four year old doing the bob and weave twenty min after I lunged it. So you can imagin how burly a full grown bear is.
:shocked2:

I agree with the pepper spray. It beats lugging another firearm (esp. 3 - 5 miles in), it's easier to "hit" a charging bear (though you definitely want to make sure you're not spraying it INTO the wind or you'll have more problems on your hands than an angry bear), and there is no way I would risk bringing a handgun into Canada. I don't know what the legal repercussions are for getting caught, but I would imagine them to be severe. That said, I don't know what Provincial law says about pepper spray, and I don't think you can fly with it, so make sure you check that out.

I live and breath bears any time I head out into the hills, but also live where I can carry just about any arm I want, whether for backup or as a principle defensive arm. I also have and carry bear spray when circumstances dictate.

No, bear spray is not my first choice, but there are circumstances such as national parks where you don't have any choice.

Even though its effectiveness is questioned by many, I agree that if I could get it in Canada I'd carry it on this hunt if I couldn't carry a suitable backup gun due to weight or regulation.

It may not be the "best" option compared to others in a free and open society, but it might well be the most suitable in the circumstances under discussion.

It may not be great, but it's better than nothing. It takes practice and judgement to use correctly. It also takes time to bring it to bear.

Even with it hanging on my belt though, I'd be sticking close to dad and whatever he was carrying as my principal backup.

I've been told you should always carry pepper spray in bear country and wear little bells to warn the bears that you are coming, avoiding any surprise encounters.

You should also learn to tell the difference between black bear and grizzly sign.

Black bear tracks will be smaller and their droppings may contain seeds and smell like berries.

Grizzly bear tracks are noticeably larger and their droppings may contain little bells and smell like pepper spray...

Chris L. said:
I don't know what Provincial law says about pepper spray, and I don't think you can fly with it, so make sure you check that out.
Most sporting stores, fishing stores, carry pepper spray. Try some place like Wholesale Sports or The Fishing Hole. I know they carry it.

If you bring your shotgun to canada remember to check the hunting laws up in the area that you are hunting you are limited to how many shells it is allowed to hold if it hes more than the legal limit it.All guns preasent will be confiscated and you will recieve some heafty fines.

Bald Mtn Man said:
When I took my first black bear, everyone that had planned to go with me backed out for one reason or another. I still went, by myself & was determined that I was going to use my T/C Renegade flinter. The same rules applied for that hunt too. I couldn't take along a handgun, so I carried my Remington 7600 in .30-06 on my shoulder. When I got to my tree stand I hung the 06 on a limb within reach in case I needed it. Who really cares about being P/C when it could mean your life is on the line. :v
You were hunting Black Bear in Grizzely country? :confused:

if the season regs are for primitive weapons only a percussion sidelock pistol at least .50 cal (better if a double) would likely do - but it would be wise to have a buddy with you armed with a BP rifle and pistol both. here in NC the state regs say you aren't allowed to carry a sidearm (pistol) with you. doesn't make sense to me as hunters could conceivably use a cart of some sort to haul multiple rifles. but black bears sure ain't grzz altho they do include humans in their diet. I have hunted black with dogs here in WNC during regular gun season (twice, we didn't get one either time) and the hunters (5) had everything from .22mag levers to .45 flinter w/double-ball load and my ROA with max load.

Halftail said:
Bald Mtn Man said:
When I took my first black bear, everyone that had planned to go with me backed out for one reason or another. I still went, by myself & was determined that I was going to use my T/C Renegade flinter. The same rules applied for that hunt too. I couldn't take along a handgun, so I carried my Remington 7600 in .30-06 on my shoulder. When I got to my tree stand I hung the 06 on a limb within reach in case I needed it. Who really cares about being P/C when it could mean your life is on the line. :v
You were hunting Black Bear in Grizzely country? :confused:

You missed the point. :nono:
This was about carrying a back-up for protection. I was just telling what I did. Grizzlies aren't the only bears that can be dangerous! :shake:

BrownBear said:
And yes, you'll find both grizz and blacks sharing the range in many parts of the continent.

Yes BB,
I am aware of that fact.I've hunted Black Bear in wilderness settings of Nova Scotia and have been up close and personal with large Bears.All the while carrying only a Muzzleloader loaded with a single projectile.Not once did I fear that my firearm of choice wouldn't do the Job.I never felt the need for back up of any sort..I don't live where anything can eat you so I guess I'm not nervous in the woods.Perhaps a big Grizz or a large snake would keep me skittish if I lived in their terrain.Maybe I should have just asked Bald Mt Man where he was hunting.

Blizzard of 93 said:
any critter with teeth bigger than mine and eats meat should be approached with caution IMO. :hmm:

My lab dog has got Big teeth. :wink:
Her Bark is worse than her bite though.....For real.....I got a pretty goods set of Chicklets on me too.....My Middle name on my birth certificate is "Beaver".I get pretty hungry at times too so I guess that puts me somewheres in the top 1 or 2 in NS. :hmm:
I suppose I should get around to answering the original question.For my back up in Hostile Bear country I probably take along some sort of pump 12 with and extended tube loaded with Both slug and 00Buck.Chances are I'll never hunt where there's anything more dangerous than a guys by the names of Junior SweetPea or Jack Bennie. :wink:

I agree with the pepper spray.

Makes sense to me. You can get the guide in the eyes with it and then run off while the bear concentrates on him. Might even have time to collect the rack.

As far as the bear? I like the .45/70 or .450 Marlin L/A or the 12 ga. pump idea much better than a can of spray that won't keep the bear from blind steamrolling you even if you hit him square in the face at maximum range on a dead gallop.

Even a single 0.690" ball from a 12 ga. New Englander ahead of 100 gr FFg would beat fairy dust for a stopper round.

Back