• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

grizz back-up gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a good rule of thumb based on multiple firsthand experiences:

If it's a serious charge, you aren't going to have time to change guns unless maybe to reach for something on your belt. Whatever you have in your hands when a charge starts is the only thing you're going to have time to use.

If the charge starts far enough away that you have time to change guns, it's likely a false charge anyway.

And basically if you're shooting beyond 20 yards you're shooting too soon. Might be a false charge you're turning into the real deal. My false charges almost all have come within 20 yards before stopping, and 10 yards is a pretty typical stop distance.

I'm looking through the sights and have my finger on the trigger at 20, for sure. But I really don't want to shoot a bear, so I give them a last chance to stop. Shoot a "charging" bear past 20 yards, and odds are pretty good you're going to end up filling out lots of paperwork. Lots of paperwork. And getting a whole bunch of suspicious questions from the badges walking the site and photographing evidence.

NWTF Longhunter said:
Some years back myself and a partner went on a float hunt in Alaska for moose. Our weapons were longbows. The trip consisted of floating 100 miles down a wilderness river. At the suggestion of our outfitter, the other weapons that we took besides our longbows were 44 magnum hand guns and a shotgun. He said the 44's were handy for signaling when we got separated in the bush and needed help, and the shotgun was a grizzle deterrent. My handgun was a 5" Ruger Black Hawk. My partner loaded some special hot hardball ammo for our 44's. The 12ga double was kept loaded with a slug in one barrel and 00 Buck in the other.

That old double is still doing service as an over the door gun out of reach of the grandkids. It';s kept loaded with 00...just in case some nut :youcrazy: decides to call. If he does, he'd better be carrying a white flag. :surrender:

note the front sight and peep with the insert out on the cut down double.

Double12.JPG

I think I remember you posting pictures describing that hunt one. :hatsoff:
I like your Guides recomendation for bear Back up also :thumbsup:

My Guide/Outfitter was the late Jay Massey, 1941-1997

Jay wrote several books, "Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers" and "A Thousand Campfires" to name a couple.

He was my friend and a man I admired greatly. Here's an excerpt from Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers,

From "Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers":

"The river was good to us. It provided a means of getting into the wild, un-hunted country we'd never have seen otherwise. It offered some of the finest moose hunting I have ever seen in Alaska.

But, the actual hunting is only a part of what intrigues me about river running. I love to drift silently down river, seeing mile after mile of new country, never knowing what's around the next bend. I welcome the chance to use my personal resourcefulness and my acquired outdoor skills, something most of us rarely have a chance to do in this day and age.

And, I enjoy a crackling campfire and good companions after a hard day afield. I thrill to the whisper of the river flowing nearby, the sound of salmon splashing through the shallows, the howling of a timber wolf on the ridge and the challenging grunt of a bull moose from across the beaver pond.

The river is calling. It beckons. Let us go."

vikingsword said:
SNIP
If I make a killing shot,and I'm sure I won't need another for my intended game, I will up my powder charge to the high range of it's capabilities, and load two balls down the barrel
SNIP
VS

OK, I have to ask what is probably a stupid question. I just want to clarify what you guys are saying about double round ball loads. You are loading the rifle with a heavy powder charge (still safe in the gun, just top end), patched ball and then a second patched ball seated firmly on top of the first, correct? I know it's not a difficult concept but I'd rather ask then blow up my .54 Renegade trying this out at the range.
Thanks in advance,
Sharps54

That is what he is saying. Yes, one PRB sits on top of the first PRB. How much powder your gun will tolerate with a double ball load will often depend on the size of the barrel, and the make of the gun. I would be careful about double ball loading my flintlocks, for instance. Well made percussion gun, like the T/C guns can be loaded this way without any trouble.

Back