• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Groundhog/Whistlepig Tallow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are you using the term tallow loosely or are you actually talking about just melting down the orogen fat? They sure can be chunky!!

my wife (and she knows I'm posting this) told me to say she likes eating them with bbq, kinder seasoning, and jalapeños out of the garden.

doesnt leave much for me to render so yes I'm using the term loosely.

she says and I quote, "I'm a proud Amish redneck Irish Asian and that my father served 4 tours in Vietnam."

(but she's Philippino)

camo

I have killed 16 in two summers out of my yard. Never do anything more than toss the vermin in the drainage ditch. If it digs it dies, a simple rule I follow. I use a lot .22 mag ammo :)

I took one out last summer with my hawk!!

Attachments

• IMG_5355.jpeg
    IMG_5355.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Surprised no one is skinning them?
I have not as we don't have any here but I have heard they make for a good tough hide that has been used in knife sheaths and such.
I bought a hide online, commercial tanned, and made for a fine rifle bag, hide side seems pretty tough and with over five years use now it ain't shedding at all.

Would sure like to taste some, read many recipes.

Would sure like to taste some, read many recipes.
My grandmother would cook them up for me. My tactic was to find a burrow, make a lot of noise and stomp around then put a piece of bread to where it would have to get all the way out of the burrow to get it. Head shots only to keep em from going down the burrow to die! Never had to wait more than 15 minutes to come out to see what was going on.

No ground hogs that I know of here in Colorado but we have marmot and they carry a lot of fat. The rendered to oil is said to be a good lube. Season opens on the 15th so I'll give it a try.

What I don't know is how to render??

My grandmother would cook them up for me. My tactic was to find a burrow, make a lot of noise and stomp around then put a piece of bread to where it would have to get all the way out of the burrow to get it. Head shots only to keep em from going down the burrow to die! Never had to wait more than 15 minutes to come out to see what was going on.

No ground hogs that I know of here in Colorado but we have marmot and they carry a lot of fat. The rendered to oil is said to be a good lube. Season opens on the 15th so I'll give it a try.

What I don't know is how to render??
I personally have never rendered, perhaps some else can chime in?
But there are videos online for rendering, as I understand it is just boiling the fat down over a slow fire, as the fat settles to the bottom you scim the oil off the top.

I would be curious too if the hide of marmot is as tough as groundhogs? I hear they are very similar...
I like working with furs and hides

Latest posts

Back